| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lower E's- LKR vs RKL
Gerald Shaw

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 2:01 pm    

I understand that having the lower and raise for the E strings on the same knee makes sense, since you would never use them at the same time. Having the E lower amd E raise on opposite knees, you lose a combination.

But doesn't this assume you have something better to do with that extra combination? I lower E with LKR and lower the 6th string a whole step on RKL. The combination gives me a a V chord (B at the open position) But the LKL and RKL gives me F and a F#, which isn't too good. If I move the E lower to the RKL and the 6 string lower to LKR, I still can get do the same move and get the same V chord. Of course I can't use the LKL and RKL anymore since they cancel, but that combination doesn't yield a useful combination anyway. On opposites sides I can do a smooth lowered e to a raise E.
So it seems like the issue of losing a combination is only valid if all your existing combination's are useful.
Thinking of moving my lowers to RKL so I can do a smooth whole tone change on the E's.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2017 2:41 pm    

If you currently have a whole tone drop of 2 on your RKR, you'd lose some cool melodic uses in the G#m position.