| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LKV Ergonomics
Jim Simon

Moses Lake, WA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2004 1:29 pm    

I find the LKV move to be awkward for the Bb change. I think I like this change better on the RKL but fear my inexperience may cause me to miss something in the decision. Seems like a vertical move would be better suited ergonomically in an AB position. If this is true what pull would be useful on the LKV in an AB position. My RKL currently has 1,2, & 6 pulling to G#, E, and F#. Would like some advice as to what you guys find most usefull. There may be great need for the current setup that I don't yet understand. Sure to like the Bb on RKL though. Thanks for the help.
David Friedlander

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2004 1:33 pm    

I use the vertical to raise string number 1 and 7 1/2 step. This brings your F#'s up to G's.
This give you a 7 chord with A and B pedals depressed- which to me seems the only way to get the proper leverage off the vertical anyway- so it makes musical , as well as mechanical sense.
Jim Simon

Moses Lake, WA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2004 1:44 pm    

David: Thanks. That seems like a very useful change for the LKV. Where to you get the Bb's? If I put them on the RKL and use your LKV am I shooting myself in the foot giving up the current RKL setup? I appreciate your input.
David Friedlander

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2004 2:53 pm    

I play a Jimmie Day setup- so I ain't got no stinkin' Bb's! heheh

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2004 5:36 am    

The question should not be what is currently on RKL where you might put the B-Bb change, but really important is what is on RKR since you can't use that w the B-Bb. My guess is that is that RKR lowers 2&9 and that is a very nice change to use with the B-Bb change.
The B-Bb change is aslo used when A+Bpedals are pressed (split tuned to get a minor6th voicing) and if you can lower E's to Eb at the same time you have a much needed diminshed voicing.
Are you sure that the LKV is adjusted properly. Floating right above the knee when you rest your left foot on the pedals and is the movement of the lever long or short. The best is as short movement as possible without loosing control/feeling when lowering the note to Bb. Without proper adjustment almost any change on LKV will feel awkward and hinder you so you wont use it as much as it could be.
The 1&7 F#-G is also a good change to have on LKV. Best if you can use it at the same time as raising E's-F or you will sacrifise a nice combination.

Bengt

[This message was edited by Bengt Erlandsen on 23 December 2004 at 05:40 AM.]