| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Cyber Twin for C6
Jon Loder

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2016 12:23 pm    

I've been practicing on my G-Dec with an amp voice in the Country series called "Blackfacedrv." I like the sound of that one but can't seem to get dialed in on my Cyber Twin with 4x12 cab. I'm very new to lapsteel and haven't figured much out besides some simple theory, chord structures and scale patterns. One thing I have noticed is that the effects are critical to get right. The wrong amp voice can sound screechy on the highs and muddy on the lows.

Can anyone explain a quick starter's guide to getting an acceptable voice? Maybe just share something that has worked for you? Compressor? Reverb? Delay? etc.
Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2016 9:38 am    

I use a cyber twin for E9. I get an ok sound using the Fender twin pre-set. Play with the tone stac settings, effects, levels and such to dial in your sound. This takes time, but you have to do this to get the sound you want. I also have a quad reverb, which is a twin with 4 12's. IMHO I get better tone with that than the cyber twin. I suspect some of the problem is the digitzing of the signal. Your signal is dgitized and processed, and then converted back to analog, altering your original signal. You mention that you get a good sound through your GDEC. Much newer technology than the cyber twin. While the cyber twin is a great amp, IMHO fender's newer line of digital amps, Mustang and GDEC sound better than the cyber twin, and at a better price. If you use a volume pedal or do swells with the volume control this may also be effecting your sound. I suspect the varying levels effect signal processing in the cyber twin. I haven't tried yet, but an expression pedal can be used with the cyber twin to control volume. I suspect going direct to the amp without a volume pedal, or using the expression pedal instead of the volume control for swells will make a difference.

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2016 11:02 am    

Thanks for that, Jim. It gave me a lot to think about. I also have a Super Reverb (I think that's the same thing as a quad reverb) sitting right next to my beloved Cyber Twin. As I understand it, the classic country-swing-style voice of C6 can be obtained by simple reverb and tone adjustments. I have an analog delay for the Super. It's the only effect I use on that one.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone tend to use a compressor for the style I'm working on? I haven't tried it yet but it seems like that should be useful.