Kansas City,Mo.64155 U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 10:00 am    

Curious to know every ones input on carter d10 guitars
I notice that three are listed with no inquires

Last edited by chuck abend on 16 Nov 2016 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 10:26 am    

Anything will sell if its priced right... If a carter doesn't sell, its usually priced too high.. They tend to be sold pretty quick.. I have sold 3 of them and they went quick, but I priced them at a price guys would pay.
Carters sell cheaper than other brands.. They sold cheaper when new, and sell cheaper used.. They are a VERY good guitar! Its getting close to Christmas too, and this might not be prime time to sell a steel guitar.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 7:11 pm    

There may be a trend towards lighter "purpose-built" guitars for those who don't play or need a D10. Should not reflect on Carters, which are relatively light.

Having said that, there's no accounting for taste.

The Carter I got last week is my first SD10. I'm no pro (I can prove it), but I know what I like. It's an awesome guitar!
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 7:56 pm    

Mike Auldridge switched to the Carter from a push-pull and was happy with it for years.
Damn fine guitars.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2016 3:05 am    

how do we know there are no inquiries ? Question

I have owned 3/ D10 Carters and they are great guitars. I regret selling the last one.

In comparison I was listing my 1983/ D10 Black Push Pull not long ago, over maybe 4 weeks, 2 inquiries and the price was not the issue, market timing was.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2016 6:31 am    

Carters are great guitars and I've owned 2 and both sounded good. Saw a great Texas player one day at a meeting, switch from a push pull to a Carter and I couldn't tell a minutes difference in tone.
I agree with Tony, I think timing is probably big factor in why they sell and don't sell but also price plays a big part as they don't bring premium prices. I can say that John and Ann of Carter were one of the few steel makers that actually acted like they wanted you to play their product and went out of their way to do it.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2016 4:46 pm    

I don't know why it happens but it does. Here on the Forum there'll be a rash of a certain make of steel that all seem to come up for sale at the same time. Is it because a potential seller sees, say, an Emmons P/P listed and says to himself: 'I'm not playing mine - maybe I'll give it a shot...'?

I saw it with Zums a couple of years ago and I've ceertainly seen it with various Emmons - push/pulls and all-pulls.

A Carter will sell but it's (perhaps unjustly?) regarded as a semi-budget instrument which could be because of the numbers in which it was produced - they're not uncommon. Somebody suggested that 'the price has to be right' - I'd agree with that.

I loved my Carter but moved it out to get something else. I'd have another in a heartbeat.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2016 5:53 pm    

I tend to pass on guitars that don't have split tuning built into the changer. I know the changer can be tapped or that extra pull rods can be used to accomplish the same thing (or just half pedal it) but split tuning adds so much to the versatility of the E9th tuning. The Carters that are up for sale now are an absolute bargain and the prices don't seem that high compared to any new guitar on the market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2016 5:04 am    

You have to keep in mind that Carters were generally less expensive than many other new "pro" guitars that made in the same period, such as the Mullen, Emmons, and Zumsteel, and I think they were also made in higher quantities. I'd guess it's because of those factors that they bring less money on the used market.

As a side note, I find that many players here selling their used guitars will get frustrated if they don't get some inquiries in a day or two, or don't sell them in a week or two. Oh Well