| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel and Country Music alive & well at Nashville Palace!!!
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2016 7:48 pm    

just spent a couple nights in Nashville and never left the Nashville Palace out by Opryland. I've pretty much given up on going downtown unless I'm catching a show at the Ryman or somewhere.

when we arrived on Thursday, Mike Sweeney was just wrapping up with John England & the Western Swingers and was followed by the excellent Palace band led by Becky Hinson on bass & vocals... the steel player's name escapes me right now but he does a great job on that Emmons. and I'm still hoping to see Steve Hinson one of these days!

on Friday we caught the Palace band again before heading to the back room for Mike Oldham's big band featuring the TWIN STEELS of Doug Jernigan and Tom Killen! all I knew going in was there would be two steels... no idea who'd be playing them. I'm still pinching myself!

to top the night off, the band subbing on the front stage featured Mike "Cookie" Jones on steel. I hadn't seen Mike play since one of the last Knoxville steel shows... what a treat!

I should add that everyone working at the Palace is sweet as can be and there is no cover charge for bands on the front stage. the back room only cost us 5 bucks and included an hour-long dance instruction before the band hit.

the Palace is easily my favorite spot these days, I'd encourage everyone to check it out if you get the chance. you never know who might walk in and get on stage with the band. the last time I was there I met Rick Boyer and got him to sign my copy of Buddy Emmons Live at the ISGC Smile what a nice and humble guy.

when you go, don't forget to TIP THE BAND! Winking

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 12:48 pm    

Haha. There were probably about 5 other steel players in the room Friday night including myself. And the guy playing guitar is also a pretty good steel player himself. Lots of good country to be heard over in the Opryland area. I don't know why anyone even bothers going downtown.
Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 1:05 pm    

Yes....between the Nashville Palace and John A's around the corner, great steel players are alive and well. I especially enjoy Danny Muhammad who worked with Ray Price on the road for so many years, is now working weekends at John A's. He is playing both steel and lead and is a MONSTER player. What a nice guy also. If you are in the area, go see him!

Billy Easton
Trent Harris

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 7:03 am    

Nashville Palace is great, been staying out there the last several years when I go down. Larry Hamilton and the Palace band, Mike Oldham, Josh Headley, sometimes Sara Gayle plays out there. Just a great place to see real country music. And the staff is always quite friendly.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 7:36 am    

Thanks for the heads up re: the Palace. I haven't been there a long time. Usually just downtown, but I'll definitely check 'em out next visit.
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 3:01 pm    

Hey Trent, Would that Larry Hamilton be from Amarillo, Texas? If so he has been holding out on me. Thanks, J.R. Rose

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 7:11 am     Re: Steel and Country Music alive & well at Nashville Palace

scott murray wrote:
the steel player's name escapes me right now but he does a great job on that Emmons.

Was it Ronnie Miley? That's who I heard back in Feb. on my first-ever trip to Nashville. Enjoyed him and the Palace Band two nights in a row. Also heard Rusty Danmeyer over at Music City Bar and Grill, another great player.

Could not find a steel guitar on Broadway, at least not during daylight hours on Saturday. Nashville Palace was my favorite.

Last edited by Tommy Boswell on 30 Aug 2016 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 10:39 am    

Ronnie Miley... yes that sounds right. thanks Tommy!