| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Amp Question (Please, this new guy needs help!)
Eric Denmark

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 2:46 am    

Ok... so.. I've been a lead player since I was 12 (now I'm 31).. and I play teles and a couple strats through a vibrolux reverb. I am a lead player at a Pentecostal church, but my uncle/pastor has had a Sho-Bud maverick since the 80's. I've grown up around it my whole life, and here recently I have taken interest in it, but I NEED to know... will my vibrolux be a good amp for a steel too???? I am considering buying a steel, and I really need to know. It sounded great when I plugged it up to practice through. It had that sweet sound, but something is telling me that in a bigger setting, it might start overdriving the tubes and distorting out, which is ok for a lead guitar, but it's not something that I (personally) would want out of my future steel.

So, what makes a steel amp different, and what would be the best (and most cost efficient) for this struggling middle school teacher on a budget??

AND could a steel amp be used as a keyboard amp? I have a keyboard, and they have lots of sustain like a steel!
Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 3:36 am    

For starting out on steel most any amp will be fine...the 2x10 Vibrolux Reverb is better suited as your 6 string amp but fine for now.. Guys/gals want a powerful amp that doesn't break up for steel/keyboards..clean is key ! Keep it simple and cost effective by using what you have for now and then expand it as you progress on the steel... lots of fun !!

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 6:15 am    

The Vibrolux should be fine but the 2-10" configuration may be a bit bright and "brittle" sounding (my term) for pedal steel. If you have access to a 12" or 15" cab with a decent speaker (bass speakers work fairly well), unplugging the internal speakers and running a speaker cord from the chassis to the external cab may make a noticeable improvement, especially in the bottom end..A keyboard player that I worked with played through a Peavey 30 watt tube amp (Special 30?) and it actually sounded really good but the unit needed to be mic'ed to prevent breakup.
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 6:50 am     Peavey 30

Possibly a Classic 30, which is what I play guitar through. Haven't tried mine with steel, but it would suffice for steel. When you get ready to upgrade, check out the Peavey Nashville 112 amplifier. Here is a link;
http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/1073/104983/
Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 9:36 am    

turn down the treble and turn up the bass knobs until you like the sound. done!

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/
Sam Marshall

Chandler, AZ USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 10:09 am    

Hi,
IMO, you should be fine with your Vibrolux, especially using it for a church gig.

I played a show about 2 months ago with a '68 Custom Vibrolux at a club that had a backline already setup. Being lazy (its summer in AZ after all), I defered to using this current production Vibrolux instead of hauling mine in.

Link:
http://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/vintage-pro-tube/68-custom-vibrolux-reverb/2275000000.html#productsPerRow=3&prefn1=subtype&prefv1=Combos&start=1

I was surprised how well it worked. The steel sound was definitely 60's vintage & the tone fit in the mix well. I recall setting the volume about 4, which allowed me to get a slight crunch when pushed (OK at this gig). Miking the amp helped with its volume in the mix as it would have been weak on its own for this larger sized club room (The Hall at Prankster's Bar & Grill in Scottsdale, AZ). I used my Mullen U12 for this gig.

An original Vibrolux should have more headroom than the '68 Custom Vibrolux.

Best Regards,
Sam
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 10:34 am    

I have 2 Vibrolux Reverbs that I sometimes use to double on guitar and steel. To my tastes, a Vibrolux in good original working order sounds very good for 10-string E9 pedal steel if I don't push it real hard. No, you can't crank 'em way up and get a clean sound, and they'll tend to flop out on real low notes/strings on C6 or U12/Ext-E9 guitars if you push them. But I don't think there's the slightest problem learning and practicing in the bedroom or a relatively low-volume gig/studio situation with a Princeton, Deluxe, or Vibrolux Reverb. Just tweak the bass/treble knobs to your liking - mine are generally in the vicinity of treble 6 and bass 4, plus or minus a bit - nothing too extreme.

Assuming you realy push through and learn pedal steel and you want to gig, what will work for you when you want loud and clean depends on what kind of sound you like. I personally like my 70s Session 400, but any of the other standard pedal steel amps like the Peavey LTD 400, Nashville 400, Nashville 112, and Nashville 1000, Fender Steel King, or something like an Evans FET500 all sound fine to me if I fiddle with the knobs to get my sound. These amps have plenty of juice and sound-shaping knobs, and can be picked up for $300-500 used. Only one of the 'usual suspects' I didn't care for was the Session 500, not to mention that it's insanely heavy.

But you really don't need to run out and buy an amp if you're just starting out, IMHO.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2016 4:36 am    

What Dave said. Unless you start jamming with garage friends or playing gigs where they don't mic yer amp, that Vibrolux is going to sound utterly wonderful.
If you want to gig soonish, cast your eye around for either a Twin or one of the Peaveys that Dave mentioned.
It's an unfortunate truth that, unless you're going direct, a steel requires GOBS of power to stay clean¹. But you won't need that yet.

¹My theory on this has to do with the unpleasant clash of the harmonics of microtones. Even a lap steel sounds ok with some hair on it, but once you squeeze a pedal, you're passing through every conceivable interval between, say, a perfect fifth and a major sixth. And if there's even subtle distortion going on, that can just make you grit yer teeth.
Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2016 10:05 am    

I have a Peavey LA 400 that is 210 W. These are often overlooked but are nice little amps and not expensive. They are discontinued, but can be found now and then.

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2016 6:44 am    

The Vibrolux should work. I use a silver-face Deluxe re-issue and can cover most venues. If I am not loud enough we mike it. Recently I installed the same 12" speaker that goes in the blackface re-issues. It really makes a difference. At one time I used a Vibrolux and had no problem.