| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Square neck PBS neck angle and action
Steve Winters

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 6:00 pm    

I have a square neck Gold Tone PBS that has 15/32 string height at the nut and about 19/32 at the twelfth fret. It also has a bit of relief/ bow in the neck. The neck also appears to be set in an upward angle from the body. I can't find specs online anywhere on this instrument so I don't know if this is an acceptable set up or if the guitar was built funky. Any advise would be appreciated. And anyone else out there that has a PBS with a similar set up, I'd love to hear some your measurements.

Thank's,
Steve
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2016 6:12 pm    

1. How much space do you have between the top of the strings at the insert and the bottom of the palm rest?

2. Inspect the neck heel at the body. Are there cracks in the finish where the heel joins the body or an obvious gap between the heel and the body.

3. How old is the guitar. Looking through one of the screens does it has a Gold Tone sticker or a Beard sticker?
h
Steve Winters

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 4:37 am    

There's a 1/4" gap between the tops of the saddles and the underside of the palm rest when measured from the tension adjustment hole in the rest. With the taper in the palm rest and the angles cut in the saddles it gets a bit closer. Looks about 5/32 to 3/16 at the ends of the saddles. The tops of the saddles measure 13/32" proud of the slots in the spider. There is a 1/4" gap between the strings and the cover plate when measured at the bridge hole in the plate. There is no apparent structural damage at the neck body joint. The guitar was purchased new in 2015. It's a Gold Tone Sticker with serial #21409052.
I'v thought of a way to measure/approximate neck angle to the body if that would be helpful. I can also measure the relief in the neck if that helps.

Thank you sir for your help. I am extremely grateful.

Steve
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 5:53 am    

Ok,

A typical Gold Tone setup. It might benefit from something like a Beard set up but frankly I wouldn't bother for now if it plays well.

Save your $$. Play it as is until wear parts need replacing and consider setting up the guitar again professionally.

h
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 6:05 am    

Looking at the Beard blueprint for their kit guitar. String height spec above fretboard is 12mm-14mm. Neck is set to 0°.

Just some ballpark numbers...

h
Steve Winters

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2016 4:27 pm    

Thank's Howard, I appreciate the advice. I'm glad I'm not dealing with anything too far out of the ordinary.