| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone else who can't use fingerpicks?
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 5:59 am    

Ever since I got my first steel 25 years ago, I have been unable to get comfortable with fingerpicks. If they don't fall off they really hurt, and I feel like I have no control over my right hand, it's like walking on stilts (can't use them with banjo or guitar either). With no picks, blocking is so much easier, but I really want the crisp tone you can only get with thumb- and fingerpicks. I 've tried and failed countless times - any solutions out there?
Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 7:58 am    

I also have problems with fingerpicks. I come from a classical guitar background and am used to using nails. The only picks I could kind of get used to were the Propik Fingertone picks. They are open at the pad of your finger and don't stick out as far as regular finger picks. Very similar to using fingernails.
Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 12:14 pm    

i don't know if this helps or not but at www.pedalsteelguitar.net, dick meis site. he has some hirider picks that go above your nail. worked for me.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 12:49 pm    

1. They fall off.
2. If they don't fall off, they hurt.
3. They sound great.
Seems like you got it in a nutshell, there.

The only trick I know is to keep two sets working - play with one set, and adjust the fit of the other when you're watching TV, reading etc. That way you're not spending all your practice time fiddling with your picks, and also blaming them for everything that's not working. When the TV set feels better than the practicing set, switch them. I can pretty much get used to Kysers, Dunlops and reissue Nationals, I don't like Jeff Newman's or John Pearse's, haven't tried ProPicks - maybe they'd fix my playing?!?
Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 2:22 pm    

Nobody uses picks anymore.

[This message was edited by Michael Holland on 25 August 2004 at 01:17 AM.]

Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2004 10:14 pm    

Thanks guys! I'll try the cushion thing, but that won't solve the control issue. I guess I'll just have to get my fingertips chrome plated...
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2004 3:49 am    

A while back I was watching "Austin City Limits" and Charley Robison was on. I do not know the name of his steel player, but did notice he played without picks and his tone was fine. I do remember that he played a plank maple, D-10 Carter. Perhaps someone else may be familiar with this player.
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2004 4:28 am    

Per, No one in this world put picks on his fingers and thought it felt natural.
One of the first projects in learning to play steel guitar is adapting to the equipment.
When you saddle a horse he bucks and tries to reject, but with practice, he accepts this new addition and adapts.
I KNOW you can use picks if you tell yourself that this is what you ARE going to do and then practice.
happypickadapting...........JD
Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2004 5:32 am    

Have you tried wetting your fingers? I don't advise anyone do this but I touch my fingers to my tongue before I put on my fingerpicks and it works fine. I didn't originate this practice either.
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2004 10:36 pm    

I noticed on Buddy's web site, the pix of him playing his new JCH, he's not wearing finger picks. I've also seen Tommy when he was with the Whites take a solo break after putting his picks in his coat pocket.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 1:18 am    

Russ Hicks played us a cut from Laney's new CD, where Buddy was playing. Russ said that Buddy thought the tone was too bright, so he played without fingerpicks---and of course, it was beautiful.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 4:24 am    

i had a hard time gettin' used to picks and spent most of my pickin' without them.
(i play guitbox like that dig)
i use the meat and not my nails - it's got a tone of it's own -
while exchanging steel talk w: Lionel Wendling, he told me it was better to know how to play w: picks and still be able to revert to no picks, rather than play w; no picks and NOT bein' able to revert to picks -
Thanx to this Great Forrum and the numerous posts on this issue, i finally got down on usin' picks.
the sound is much clearer and my pickin' is more precise(?) w: picks
one recommendation that was posted here by a Fo'Bro' was to wear your picks around the house, while watchin' TV, walkin' the dawg, or stickin' stamps on the envellopes
the choice of picks is not to be neglected considering the types that are around.
i use some rounded off Dunlops, cause that's all i found around here...
just peep on kickin'...

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 4:56 am    

I use the Alaska pics. They fit over the top of the finger and feel just like your nails.
Boogie Sherrard

Fern Creek, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2004 6:59 pm    

Strange that this topic should surface.
I've been playing (somewhat) for nigh onto
(55) years - on both a six string (guitar) and steel & have never used any kind of pick
except for (1) Fender (medium) flat pick.
I have obviously never been able to pick
some of the complicated & fast works that so
many of you do but I would never hesitate to
encourage other pickers to feel free to try
to try to play this way - because the music
that comes out of a steel guitar comes right
straight out of Heaven & they should enjoy
it and not fail to participate for lack of
finger picks. (Hang in there" --- Boogie)
Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2004 7:20 pm    

I could never get used to fingerpicks. Ever. I get them ladies at the nail parlor to apply the stuff that makes the nails about twice as thick and hard as a rock. You can file them to the length and shape you prefer.

One downside, you have to keep doing it as the nail grows out, but it's comfortable for me to use on the 6 string and the steel. I do only the 4 fingers on my right hand and strap on the blue Herco for my thumb.
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2004 7:39 pm    

Per.If by chance you are using the old national finger picks they had something in the metal that made you fingers hurt something awful.I remember reading when the dunlops first came out it it was a blessing.I realize there have been many finger picks out since that don't make your fingers sore.Tracy
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2004 7:55 pm    

I'm bipickrel, I can go either way , with or without!
Bart Maloney

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2004 6:51 pm    

Hey David, the steel player you saw playing for Charlie Robison on ACL was more than likely Mr. Kim Deschamps. He plays with no picks and i love his tone. Nice guy too. He also did some great recordings with the Cowboy Junkies and Blue Rodeo. Hope that helps.

------------------
"Keep on Keepin' on"

Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2004 2:45 am    

Give up my picks and the best excuse for why
I can't play. Never.
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2004 3:32 am    

Thousands of players use picks and don't even notice them, myself included. Unless there is something very strange about how your fingers are made compared to the rest of the population, you can use picks. Even if this were the case, the picks can be bent. In my opinion, it is a mental thing, not physical. Sure picks feel different than just your fingers. If you want to learn picks, just put them on and don't play without them. Soon, they will become 2nd nature. If you "cheat" and don't use them part of the time, you will never get anywhere. Anything new feels awkward at first. But there is a reason that 99.9% of players use picks.

[This message was edited by George Kimery on 26 August 2004 at 04:34 AM.]

David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2004 3:43 am    

I never really liked playing with finger picks either until I discovered Jeff Newman's picks. I'm currently using the new/old National NP2's and I still use my Jeff picks too, for playing as well as a template of sorts when I'm bending a new pair of picks. I think how the pick is bent has a lot to do with how comfortable it is.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2004 3:54 am    

Try putting some cloth medical tape on the insides of the picks.

It has a non metal touch on your fingers,
and a bit more friction, so they can be on a bit looser too
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2004 3:59 am    

Bart Maloney,
Thank you for the information on Charlie Robison's steeler.I enjoyed his playing on the show, but missed the closing credits so I did not catch his name.
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2004 5:34 am    

Ha Boogie I Have seen You Play For Years And Always wondered How You Do It With Out Picks. HANK.

------------------
seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2004 7:28 am    

I've been a fingerpicker with just nails on a regular guitar (acoustic and elec.) for 40+ years. But can't do it on steel, I need picks. AND I can't use fingerpicks on the guitar! For steel - as some have said, once you get used to them it's 2nd nature. I like the tone. And knowing the routine for keeping nails up to snuff - I'd rather not have to worry about it for steel. I can fake it on guitar with a flatpick if I break a nail.

I tried without picks for steel, but it put my hand at a strange angle. So your own unique physical makeup will have something to do with all this. Be careful forcing your body into positions it doesn't like else you'll chance getting some carple tunnel problem or some such mess. It's ok if the norm isn't something you can do , or like to do - just do your own thing.

Like many of you I'm sure, I've used the same metal fingerpicks for at least 5 years, perhaps longer! I can't remember. The thumbpick (Herco blue) wears out, so I replace them).

Someone showed me once that if you take some needlenose pliers and sit down to carefully bend and mold the pics to fit your hand, you can make any metal pick feel really comfortable and fit close. I use heavy guages, so once they're 'blacksmithed' for my fingers - they stay that way. If I can easily bend it with my fingers, it's too thin for me. I've molded a couple of backup sets, but usually use the same ones all the time.

Another method: A friend plays steel with a flatpick and two metal fingerpicks on middle and ring fingers! He can switch from guitar to steel really fast!

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"There is no spoon"
www.book-em-danno.com