| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rukavina lap steels
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 3:25 pm    

I saw this auction on eBay for a Rukavina lap steel, made by Ryan Rukavina.

Does anyone have any experience with these guitars or with Mr. Rukavina? Thanks!
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 4:23 pm    

I think I've said it before,- this guy must be the Salvador Dali of lap steel design. Beautiful works of art, but I wonder how comfortable they are with those small thin bodies..?

Steinar
John D. Carter

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 4:44 pm    

His work was discussed in this thread back in January. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=888374&highlight=#888374
Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2007 3:53 am    

play a Martin Backpacker and I bet you will have an idea how that lap steel would feel.
Backpackers are narrow and light. I want to put stones in them to keep them still while playing.
Ryan Rukavina

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2007 11:30 am    

Hey guys, this is the fella that has been making these. I'm the Mr. Rukavina in question...A friend sent me here, so I saw it fitting to join up, say hello, mention a few design changes, and acknowledge appreciation for both positive and negative things mentioned about previous instruments. As some of you have suspected, I'm a normal guitarist new to the steel world & franky have been building from that perspective.
My latest instrument takes into account some of the concerns I've read from you real steelers...it has: Shorter 22 5/8" scale length, hotter pickup(12Kohm) with coil tapping option placed closer to the bridge, and this & all future guitars will incorporate a tone as well. And finally, the wider string spacing should suit the dedicated steeler. It's up on Ebay right now.
For the gentleman wondering about comfort/stability of the laps, this new one weighs approx 3.5 - 4 pounds and measures 31" x 8". The body is 1.5" thick.

I'm open to suggestions.

I'm also interested in producing 8 strings, so please let me know if any of you have any pickup recommendations? Any good experiences with Lollar's? Peace Guys!

Sincerely,
Ryan Rukavina
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2007 1:24 pm    

"Any good experiences with Lollar's?"
Several! You cannot go wrong with Jason's pickups.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2007 4:04 pm    

Not to say there is anything wrong with the Lollars (they are excellent) you should also check out Jerry Wallace's TrueTone pickups. I like them a lot and he has a quick turnaround, and can wind them to spec.
Gary Boyett

Colorado
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2007 4:39 pm    

Welcome to the forum Ryan. Don't be a stranger.

I like the looks of your steels. It is fun to push the envelope once in a while. Vintage is nice but new can be fun too. I bet your steels lay out just fine on the lap. It it moves around we will just wear rubber pants.

This is the place to get the feedback that you need. String spacing is very important, pups (pick-ups) are a never ending quest for that perfect tone. The location of the 1/4" jack has be cussed and discussed here. We can be a little picky sometimes, but why not? We are special.....

Tone controls are a must for most steelers since so many of us have to use small amps because we blew all of our money on steels. Laughing
We won't even start about the location of the controls.

Keep an open mind. We are all here for the right reasons.

Good Luck!!!
Stephan Miller

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2007 6:26 pm    

Hey, Ryan-- with the wider string spacing, shortened scale, & reduced bridge-to-nut string taper, your latest design is way more playable IMO than earlier models. Congratulations (and the woodcraft remains first-rate). Also welcome to the Forum!

Here's another vote for the Truetone pickup-- very versatile, quiet for a single coil, great-sounding & inexpensive. The Lollar Chicago Steel pup is another one worth checking out.

--Steve
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2007 7:39 pm    

By the way Ryan, I think your guitar design is great. It reminds me of the old, ( was it National, or Harmony?) cast aluminum guitars made in the 30's. But yours are much prettier! I have recently hooked up a Lollar Chicago Style pickup, and it's fantastic.
Andy Zynda

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2007 4:45 am     Sweet!

Astounding works of art Ryan, glad to see you here.
I know Jason Lollar well, and he makes KILLER steel pickups. His start in the business was rewinding stringmaster pickups. He knows them inside and out. He also makes Charlie Christian types, and his P90 comes stock on some of the most elite boutique guitars made today. As well as some Gretsch models.
Drop him a line, he's a great guy.
-andy z-
Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2007 5:08 am    

welcome Ryan. I am happy that you are here.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2007 11:49 am    

My compliments, Ryan. There are several lap steel builders on the forum who are building unique, personally styled axes. For sure, you are one of them.
Roman Sonnleitner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 3:00 pm    

You might also want to check out www.vintagevibeguitars.com - Pete Biltoft makes some 6- and 8-string lap steel pickups, and if they are as good as his "regular" guitar pickups, they should be great!
Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 5:58 pm     Ryan's Lap Steels

Ryan: Your guitars sound like they are a fine instument; Would you post to us a few photos so all we forumites can get a look-See at them.. Thanks, Oh, yes, Ryan, welcome to the sounding board of The SGF.. Bernie Laughing

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2007 9:16 pm    

This link will take you to a gallery page that I intend to utilize for posting past and current instruments until I am able to administrate my own site at will. Check out the alien specimen I'm currently widdling up?...?

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=51qn3z4.130dufog&x=1&y=-obcn9u

And here is a shot of: my most recently auctioned design, an older design, some of my abstract inlay work, and my new laser cut wooden logo medallion:

Peace Guys,
Ryan
Fred Kinbom

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 4:41 am    

Welcome Ryan! Your guitars look great! I especially like the (koa?) one, third from the top - any more pictures of that one?

Cheers,

Fred

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 4:35 pm     Ryan's Super Axe

Rolling Eyes
Ryan; that is a beautiful guitar; I agree with the last poster; the third one from the top is exquisite; lovely wood grain finish; just out standing..Thanks for the photos; tried your suggested web site for posting the photos; I don't care for their rules & Regs, for signing into their system; I would advise getting your own site..Again, your guitars are excellent..Bernie Wink [/b]

Sunny Southern California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2007 9:04 pm    

They are gorgeous! I'm currently building a maple "fry pan" style of my own. After seeing Ryan's guitars, I think I'll quit... Confused Laughing

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 9:54 am     more pics

I assume this is the one you'd like to see more of?...chocolatey wood is walnut and honey colored strips are koa, as is the control cover on back.

This is the first instrument I sold on Ebay whose looks were better accepted than it's specs. Narrow nut spacing, single knob, humbucker too far from bridge. All things I've since addressed. Thanks again for your kind words guys!

Peace,

Ryan
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2007 4:34 pm    

Welcome to the forum Ryan. These boys will straighten you out pronto as to what they like in a steel.
Ryan and I go back a few years and I can say without hesitation that he is a first rate artisan in the wood working field. As a matter of fact Ryan built my original prototype Lapdancer custom, the one pictured on my website, to my exact specifications! (including holes as position dots into a hollow neck)
He is now ready to pursue his own vission of our beloved lap steels.
I wish him all the luck in the world. Heck just buy one from him !
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2007 1:59 am    

Ryan, nice to see you here. I'm glad you took on board the comments in the earlier thread, you've incorporated them well.
NOW, who's your distributer in Europe ?
Baz.

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>
Ryan Rukavina

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2007 8:31 am     Hi Loni

Thanks for the kind words Loni! I appreciate that. I hope that things are going well for you, and I wish you the best of luck & success as well. I dig your glass slides and the Aero Commander. Although a amateur like me would be scratching his head with all those strings in front of me...its cool; it has nice woods used in it, & great jointery too.
I'm at rrukavina@bresnan.net if you feel the need. Take care Loni!

And to Basilh...no distributing...yet? Just a guy who sells them as they're finished at this point(locally or Ebay). I am working towards a larger shop and some help ASAP...Baby steps. If you're interested in my work & want to drop me your email address I can send a notice when something is ready to post.

Peace guys,

Ryan

PS Anyone know of a seller/distributor of 8string tuner sets, so a guy doesn't have to buy 4 6string to get 3 8string sets?
Loni Specter

West Hills, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2007 9:03 am    

Hi Ryan,
Allparts www.allparts.com
will make up 7 or 8 or whatever you need tuner sets. You should apply for an account with them.
Thanks for the Aero and SlipperySlide compliments!
Later, Loni
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2007 5:32 pm    

Thanks for the information, Loni. I'll make a note of their website.