| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rick Price, Texas
David Fleming

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 7:18 am    

I had the good fortune to meet Rick for the first time earlier this year when he adjusted my push/pull (making it play better than new, I might add) and got to hear him play, live, a few weeks ago. He is a fantastic p/p mechanic, a wealth of information, a great guy and a great player. If you need p/p work, I highly recommend him. If you get a chance to hear Jake Hooker and the Outsiders, you ought to check them out.
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 8:34 am    

Ditto to your comments David

I met Rick years ago and bought a Zum from him. I used to change my copedents to a Day setup but the undercarriage of this guitar was too complicated for me so I just started using it. And I still am to this day.

Super nice guy and unbelievable player. He is one of the unsung hero's of mine. You don't hear much about him on the forum but he is up there with the best.

Revelation Octal Preamp, Fractal AZE III, Fender FRFR 12
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 9:17 am    

I bought a black Emmons bolt-on from Rick a few months ago and drove out to his place in Utopia, TX to pick it up. We had a lengthy visit that I thoroughly enjoyed, quite a guy, great player, and a bit under the radar maybe (except for all us Texas guys).

BTW, the bolt-on is killer.. I called Rick after I'd gigged a couple of times and told him he'd changed my life. Smile
David Fleming

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 10:09 am    

That's funny, Bill. I was there picking up my guitar the day before you were there. We should communicate better. I saw your bolt-on. What a cool guitar.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 10:23 am    

Wait a minute! Rick's playing a Zum in that photo! Shocked
David Fleming

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 10:44 am    

Ha!! I wondered who would mention that first.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 2:20 pm    

David, I know... Rick mentioned it when I was there, and as you know it's a pretty good little hop to Utopia. Smile

Whereabouts in Bastrop are you? I'm over off McAlister Rd. in Pine Forest? We need to get together and talk guitars.
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 2:26 pm    

Rick is a masterful player and mechanic. And a fellow Charleton devotee Wink Don't see him near enough but we do talk frequently. He is a treasure for sure....

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
David Fleming

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 2:32 pm    

I'm in Circle D - where the pine forrest used to be. Email me when you're going to be playing. I'd love to hear that bolt-on. Rick's in Navasota next Saturday. I'm going to go over and steal some licks.
Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2016 12:44 pm    

Yes, Rick is a fine person and great player. He istalled new changers in an Emmons for me. Super mechanic, super guy!
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 4:51 pm    

Rick is on that cool Johnny Bush LP, "Live From Dancetown". He is definitly one of the best.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2016 9:11 am    

I caught Rick yesterday on RFD's Tru Country show from Brady, Tx. He was with Jake Hooker as mentioned above, and sounded great. I had several of those shows recorded, and in back to back viewings I saw Rick, Jody Cameron, Jim Loessberg, and Gary Carpenter. How's that for a hit list?

I think my stuff is for sale.. it was inspiring and depressing all at the same time.
Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 10:44 am    

Rick Price is one of the most un heard of Great players in the steel world.
Unless you are devoted to steel guitar, most people have not heard his name. It should be mentioned a lot more often than it is.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 3:59 pm    

Bill Terry wrote:
I caught Rick yesterday on RFD's Tru Country show from Brady, Tx. He was with Jake Hooker as mentioned above, and sounded great. I had several of those shows recorded, and in back to back viewings I saw Rick, Jody Cameron, Jim Loessberg, and Gary Carpenter. How's that for a hit list?

I think my stuff is for sale.. it was inspiring and depressing all at the same time.

Rick is a monster picker, and excellent PP mechanic. He is under-recognized because he doesn't hang out on the Internet and doesn't do steel shows. He just picks his ass off for Jake Hooker, makes good bread, and drives his Corvette all over Texas.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jeffery Self

Spring City,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 6:49 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
Bill Terry wrote:

Rick is a monster picker, and excellent PP mechanic. He is under-recognized because he doesn't hang out on the Internet and doesn't do steel shows. He just picks his ass off for Jake Hooker, makes good bread, and drives his Corvette all over Texas.

That's what I love about you Herb, you really know how to tell it!!

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2016 12:33 pm    

Rick was on RFD last night. He hit a clunker but me and him were the only ones that knew it. Covered it well . lol Great picker and tone on his Emmons.