| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Palmer Cab Merger Safe?
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2018 3:56 pm    

Is the Palmer Cab Merger a safe tool to use? I want to use some speaker cabs i've had laying around awhile. As long as i stay with two of the same ohm speakers, are these things safe? Anyone have a schematic for building one of these? $45 seems a bit steep. I'm glad tim already wired my Milkman Half & Half to accept 2-4ohm speakers.

https://www.pitbullaudio.com/palmer-musical-instruments-passive-cabinet-merger.html

Viva Steel Guitar Effects
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2018 6:21 pm    

As long as you obey the guidance in the chart, it'd be safe.
As long as Palmer uses power-rated jacks that don't fail.
I've not seen the schematic, but I bet dollars to donuts that it's just a pair of switching jacks and non-grounded output jacks. When you plug into the series jack, the two outputs are in series, and the parallel wiring is lifted. When you're into the parallel jack, the series wiring is lifted.
As long as nothing goes wrong, it's as safe as houses.
If it develops a short somewhere (as long as quality components are used, this is unlikely; it's not an application for cheap Chinese jacks), your power transistors will be toast.

Given that it's a passive box that doesn't require you to throw a switch, my imagination doesn't see a different way to do it, and it's something that you could wire up yourself with two non-grounded straight jacks and two non-grounded switching jacks (it's vital that sleeves never see chassis ground because bad things will happen in series mode).