| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter pickup swap
A. B. Traynor

4th Street& Royal ave New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 6:03 pm    

I am considering swapping my george l's e-66 on the e9 neck for a bill lawrence lxr-16 unit. I am looking for more bottom end growl, a sweeter punchier midrange, and not such sharp, thin highs. I play through a nashville 1000 and a goodrich 120 volume pedal. Anyone with experience with a simmilar swap? I would really appreciate your feedback tonewise what setup works well and wich setup to avoid. Thank you
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 3:27 am    

If you are getting "sharp, thin, highs" from an E-66, might I suggest you experiment with your amp settings a little before swapping pickups. I have found the E-66 to be a little on the mellow side if anything. In fact, I have read where a certain well known player recommends installing George L's reversed from the way they came from Carter, (E-66 on C6, 10-1 on E-9). I have a list of settings for the Nashville 1000 that were used by some top players at a steel guitar show. I would gladly send the list to you if you would like it. In any case, good luck.
SteveTodd

Manchester, CT, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 7:52 am    

I play a Carter S-10 I ordered it with the GL 10-1 instead of E-66 for just the reasons you are stating. I'm very happy with it. In fact, I the Carter S-10 comes standard with the 10-1 now but back when I had mine built the E-66 was standard.
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 9:55 am    

A.B.
To answer your original question. I now have the XR16's on my new Carter and they are super.
I get a fat mellow tone with clean crisp highs.
In fact at the Chattanooga Show and at the Hicks picnic, John Hughey told me "It's a keeper"

I get many compliments on my overall tone.
Hope this helps.
Bill Ferguson
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 1:54 pm    

Tommy White told me this about pickups:

"The E-66 pickups never worked for me, especially in a smaller body guitar like the Carter. The E-66 is extremely bright and brittle with not enough power. The TW pickup is wound heavier at 18,600 ohms with stainless blades, is much more balanced ,full bodied with more power. Just a better pickup."

I tried Lawrence 705's in my Carter and really missed the punch from the TW pickups and put them back on and now it sounds like it should

bob
Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2004 6:53 pm    

AB it sounds to me like you are describing a single coil pickup see Bill Millers post about just replacing his pickup a e66 with a wallace trutone and says he cant tell he has anymore hum I have never liked any humbucking they cancel hum but they also have to cancel some frequencies do yourself a favor and try a good sinle coil