| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where to start for lap steel?
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 6:46 pm    

What's a good way to get a fast intro to lap steel guitar? How to buy a decent instrument? The right gear? And technique?

I've been playing 6-string for 50 years, and pedal steel for 8 years, but know absolutely nothing about lap steel, except what it sounds like in the hands of the likes of Jerry Douglas.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2016 8:54 pm     Just the view of an olde picker

I've been playing steel for seventy plus years. I have a 1955 BIGSBY four neck with six pedals and a host of other steel guitars.

I urge you NOT to acquire a cheap instrument as it will defeat your attempts to sound like a real pro.

If you'd care to visit You Tube.....give a listen to
anyone of the following:

Dreamer's Holiday
It's a Sin
You're Always Brand New
and others.........
THEN......if you'd care to communicate further just let me know. Good Luck to you.
Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2016 1:01 am    

Hi Tommy,

What style of music do you like to play or aspire to play? There are lots of quality inexpensive lap steels out there. Vintage Supro/Valcos with what's known as the "string through" pickup are often great bargains. Old Rickenbackers, Fenders, and Gibsons of all kinds are excellent. There are also plenty of builders like Todd Clinesmith and Tom Pettingill who make fantastic new instruments.

If you want to play blues many people use open E or A. For Country and Hawaiian styles C6 is probably the most popular tuning with the most instructional material available. A6, B11, E13, C#m7 and others are also popular.

Learning proper right and left hand technique will take much longer than you might think. Having a teacher helps. After playing for 7 years I consider myself an "advanced beginner".

Ray's suggestion to check out some Jerry Byrd is a good one. Jerry was "The Master of Touch and Tone" and is indeed unsurpassed on the instrument.