Author Topic:  edit
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 11:56 am    

edit

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 22 Apr 2016 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 12:08 pm    

Really nice, Doug. I love standards on steel, and that is a great one. Also, that quad looks insanely clean for a 60 year old guitar!
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 12:17 pm    

Thanks, Scott. I bought this quad two years ago. It was in mint condition when I got it. It has a few scratches and dings now, but that's fine with me. Instruments were made to be played and a little bit of wear is a good sign, in my opinion. When I got this Stringmaster there was a lot of beginner instructional material in the case... real simple stuff. The guitar never left the home of the original owner and it had been stored for years. I always wondered why a beginner/student would buy a 4-neck professional steel guitar? There was something wrong with that picture... all that easy lesson material, some hand written, inside a Quad case!
Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 12:25 pm    

Nice one, as usual. That my be the first time i've seen a quad played, at least up close and clear. Ya she looks mint.
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 12:57 pm    

Doug, great playing as always ! And I agree, I really like standards played on the steel...is the top neck a baritone tuning ? I have to admit, my first steel was a used Fender quad...I was working in a music studio as a guitar teacher in the mid 60s and my instructor (on both guitar and steel) Bill Pruitt had his quad in the back closet and sold it to me for $150 when I got an interest in steel (which came out of him teaching a student Steelin the Blues..that knocked me out and made me want to play steel...I was in such a hurry to learn pedal steel that I traded it back into him in a couple of years for a Fender 400....gosh how I wish I still had that quad ! Anyway, thanks for posting that video...nice work, as always !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 1:07 pm    

Yes, the front neck is a baritone tuning. Fender put an odd tuning on that neck at the factory, I think they called it A Major/Minor... a combination tuning. I opted for C6 baritone tuning. So on this song I'm playing C6 standard tuning and C6 baritone, same intervals, different octaves.
Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 4:43 pm    

Nice Doug! I alway though the rear neck with the one with the strings pitched lower.
Joe Elk
Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 6:50 pm    

Very nice playing and on a very nice guitar Whoa!
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 7:04 pm    

Joe Elk wrote:
Nice Doug! I alway though the rear neck with the one with the strings pitched lower.
Joe Elk

The 'front' neck is the one closest to the audience. The 'back' neck is the one touching your belly.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2016 7:35 am    

Yep, that's it. The front neck is at the front of the guitar and rear neck is at the rear of the guitar (where the player is) Winking Lately I've met a couple of players who think the front neck is the one closest to the player and the rear neck is the furthest away. I can't understand that concept.

By the way, I've noticed that two or three necks can be activated at the same time by pressing down the buttons together. But when that's done, the output and the tone of each neck is diminished (no pun) quite a bit. I'd rather activate just one neck at a time to get the maximum output from each neck.
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2016 7:41 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Lately I've met a couple of players who think the front neck is the one closest to the player and the rear neck is the furthest away. I can't understand that concept.

The easiest way to explain/remember it is that the Fender logo goes on the front of the guitar.

I must admit though - I always get confused when people talk about the front/rear pickups on a Tele or whatever - on my guitars, all the pickups are on the front! I always say neck/bridge.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2016 7:55 am    

Quote:
...the Fender logo goes on the front of the guitar.

Yes, and we sit behind our steel guitars (the rear), not in front of them.
Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2016 10:33 am    

Thanks for catching me and for the information. I generally use inside or outside neck. I will do it next time I Promise if I don't forget. At 78 sometimes it
happens Smile
Joe Elk
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2016 10:37 am    

Yes, inside-outside works well.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2016 11:10 am    

You must have really stretchy arms, Doug! Smile

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2016 11:31 am    

When I was playing a T-8 Stringmaster I had one neck with bass strings on the bottom 4 strings. I would pretend I was a bass player when the need arose. Whoa!
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2016 12:38 pm    

It's a long reach to that outer neck, but well worth it to get the low octave!
Jim Hoock

Highlands Ranch, CO.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2016 5:01 pm    

That is awesome! What is in the floral cup that inspires you?
1968 D8 Stringmaster
Randall, Fender, Crate
Working my way thru the Jerry Byrd Instruction
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2016 8:06 pm    

Coffee! I'll be posting another video with the quad soon. The audio will be quite a bit better than this one. Thanks!
Gerald Cook

Lexington, OK USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2016 8:39 pm    

Doug, what a beautiful sound!! I have a Magnatone T-8 that I thought was a "simple sounding" guitar until I had someone that knew how to play it put it through what it "could do". I was astounded. Decided to hang on to it.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2016 7:58 am    

Thanks Gerald, yes, hang on to your Magnatone T-8. Those are great guitars.