| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Resonator Spider Differences? Update
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 9:19 am    

I've been searching the interwebs for good information regarding the quality and tonal qualities of different brands of spider bridges.

#14 seems to be "the one" but I see that Beard, Scheerhorn, Replogle and others have #14 spiders. Also, you can get a "Modern alloy" from Replogle. Then there's the cheapos that come in overseas models, and so I hear, even plastic (monstrous!).

That being said, if a person had a Chinese spider, leveled, on a perfectly seated cone (Quarterman, let's say), with everything set up well, would it sound any different than the "good" ones listed above? How would it be different?

So then, if a person used a #14 Beard, how much difference might there be in using any of the other "named" manufacturers?

And what about that Modern Alloy Replogle?

What is your experience? Links to good discussions?

Thanks!
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer

Last edited by Rick Abbott on 13 Mar 2016 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Kienhofer

Goulais River,Ontario,Canada
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 11:04 am     RLR Spider

Don,t forget Steve Smith at Redline Reso,s or Cumberland acoustics.
In my opinion has the best made Spider on the market
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 11:13 am    

To put it bluntly the alloy used in the import spiders give you nothing by "tone suck".

h
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 3:26 pm     Re: RLR Spider

Michael Kienhofer wrote:
Don,t forget Steve Smith at Redline Reso,s or Cumberland acoustics.
In my opinion has the best made Spider on the market

What makes it better than the others?

I figure that a vintage #14 is the standard by which all should be compared. I'm assuming that Beard #14 is the same as, but maybe more carefully set up before it is put on the cone. Replogle says that all the legs are hand arched and made level with his.

Howard, I assumed the alloy was inferior, I wonder HOW it is inferior, and how do I know what to replace my import with?
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Steve Branscom

Pacific NW
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 3:30 pm    

The #14 spider is the name of the casting. It is my understanding that Paul Beard owns the casting or the rights to it. Therefore all #14 spiders are Beard spiders. When there were Wechter Scheerhorns they came with a continental cone and european spider. The spider was much heavier and a #14 replacement made the instrument sound much better. Go to Beard or Steve Smith and get you one of those and don't bother with anything else. Keep it simple.

Goulais River,Ontario,Canada
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 4:10 pm    

Rick,,, Steve Smith lab tested an original Dopyera #14 Casted Spider.
Reversed Engineered so to speak.
Hope this helps.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 4:30 pm    

Keep it simple, yes - but if I had enough time, money, energy, and enough dobros lying around for tinkering projects I'd like to try 'em all.

I think the Red Line looks great, and so does the newer Replogle.

And let's not forget National Reso-Phonic. I understand they have been putting their newer spider into the Scheerhorn aka Nati-horn guitars. Eric Smith of National posted on another forum that they have figured out a way to correctly mount the Fishman Nashville pickup into their spider without having to utilize a special design like Beard does.

No disrespect to any of these folks but I still think the coolest design out there is the Schoonover modular spider form Kent Schoonover of Oklahoma, who also builds killer resonator guitars. If I change out my #14 in my Clinesmith in the future it is going to be a Schoonover.

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 4:54 pm    

Top - the spider from National. Second - Replogle. Third from the top - Red Line. 4th - Beard #14. Bottom - Beard adjustable for use with Fishman Nashville pickup.

Avoid the Chinese spiders, these things can have a significant effect on the tone of your guitar.

Paul Beard also offers in his Resophonic Outfitters store an imported spider for 20 bucks, but with the following caution: "Import spider, cast aluminum, 5.7oz. Good for experimentation ONLY!!"

That pretty much tells you all you need to know about the Asian import spiders...

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2016 5:12 pm    

Thanks for all the replies so far! Very helpful.
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Paul DiMaggio

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2016 4:51 am    

Is there a difference in height between the aforementioned spiders and the Asian ones?
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2016 2:37 pm    

Well, I bought the Replogle #14. It's installed.

I probably need to call Stewmac and lodge a complaint, or at least tell them of the issue I had with the product. The groove for the saddle was cut in two or more passes and there was this 1/16 inch shelf the last 1/8 inch of the depth. So, I had to very carefully carve out the back/bottom of the saddles. It took me 2 hours to install the damn saddles because of the poor machining. I know, I should have returned it.

I put in Beard ebony-capped saddles, a new bone nut and some Beard 17-56 strings along with the spider. A few years ago I put in a Quarterman cone.

The guitar is as different as having bought a new one. I cannot believe the difference in tone! Bass is still so-so, but the mids and highs are huge. Well worth the green to change the components. I have less than $150 in parts added to a Flint Hill resonator that I bought for $190. I'll be happy with this one until I can afford a Nati-Horn or Beard. I'll just skip the mid-line stuff, this one is close enough.
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer