| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Price range of lap steels
Dane Carlson

Bay Area, California
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2016 2:12 pm    

I'm a Dobro player and I have been wanting to start up with a lap steel but I can't decide what to buy. I've got a few friends who play blues and rock styles and I'd like to be able to plug in and join in for some fun jamming.

I think I would probably start in an Open D tuning since I'm familiar with it from Dobro and it would work for blues for sure, but C6 looks like a lot of fun and one that offers all sorts of musical style options with swing, pop, or Hawaiian.

I see the $100 cheapo instruments and the $2K Asher lap steels, and I'm wondering about what's the most important to consider for my needs.

I've been reading archives, and the only thing that has done is give me more questions! Razz

Body - is the wood or shape important? So far I have not seen anything written about this.

Pickups - Better is more expensive, and dual offers more sound choices, but I don't know whether I need Lollar humbuckers nor whether a single P30 would suffice. For blues/rock, is the sound more heavily influenced by the pickup or is it mostly in the amp and effects?

Lap/legs - I can see the need for legs if one is gigging and want to switch easily...other than that, I don't see any advantage to legs, and it seems like the better lap steels are more "guitar" shaped and not really set up for using legs.

Scale length - Coming from Dobro, I'm used to 24" scale...anything to think about with a shorter neck?

Do you lap steel players keep a couple instruments strung in different tunings? I'm thinking about spending $400-800 on a lap steel, but if I want a gritty blues/rock sound, does a pricier instrument get me anything when you consider the fuzz/grunge that the sound will have? For Hawaiian or swing, I can see where a better instrument might be worth it for the type of sound you want to get.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have...
    Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
    Post  Posted 16 Feb 2016 2:50 pm    

As you guessed there are all sorts of lap steels out there at various price points.

I don't feel the shape is important, but certain woods are more resonant than others. The primary tone factor is probably the pickup(s) in the lap steel you're considering.

You can get some great sounding lap steels within that price range. Look for a National Dynamic or New Yorker, a Fender Champion, or various Supro models. Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, CA has a pretty good selection currently.

If you're looking for a new lap steel within the price range you've listed, I'd look at the Asher Electro Hawaiian Junior. With two pickups you get more tonal flexibility.
    Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
    Post  Posted 16 Feb 2016 5:46 pm    

In the $400+ price range you have many options. IMO An older instrument with Valco pickups will sound amazing and most likely hold its value better than a new one. (I suggest that you try it out in person, to hear it, and not buy through the mail/ebay etc.)

Furthermore: When shopping around you may come across an 8 string National or Supro etc. in your price range. You will not regret having the extra strings even if you don't think you need them right now. But If you buy a six string and try some cool tunings you may find yourself shopping for another lap steel with more strings.
    Just my opinion,
    Dom

Cowichan Valley, Canada
    Post  Posted 17 Feb 2016 11:14 am    

Yes, if you are going to be playing lots of blues and rocky stuff, open D is great for those classic screaming licks. I love it. BUT . . . one of the many hidden wonders of C6 (or A6 as I prefer) tunings is the way the blues scale sits in multiple positions for any given key, especially on an 8 string. It takes some work, but since making that discovery I really need to bring only one steel for everything from Hank to Stevie-Ray.

Bremerton, Washington, USA
    Post  Posted 18 Feb 2016 6:50 pm    

Legs are not required for lighter instruments when playing seated. They are handy for heavier instruments (especially multi-neck) and / or playing while standing up.