| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Great Push/Pull Mechanic
Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2016 7:39 am    

I made a new push/ pull friend this week. I would like to Thank Craig Holden (Austin, Tx) for his help and expertise of the Push/Pull guitar. He was mentored by Bobby Bowman and understands the workings of a push/pull very well. I had an issue with my Promat not pulling and lowering on some strings. He made the adjustments, made all of the pedals pull the strings evenly together and tuned that baby up. It has never played so good. Whoever said that a push/pull plays harder that an all pull hasn't had Craig work on it! Thanks again, Craig.

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2016 11:22 am    

Hey Roy, didn't know you have a ProMat. They're real good, ain't they? Wink

Craig Holden can be found here in Forumland as CE Holden. A good guy who knows his stuff.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2016 11:58 am    

Herb, I have a 2005-6 model. It plays great and the tone is something I have never experienced before. Super rich sound and long sustaining guitar. I would say tone is a little different than an Emmons but somewhere between that and a Zum or Franklin. As least in my case. You know it is in the hands. Mr. Holden is the best kept secret in this town. Thanks Herb for all you do for the steel guitar community.
Hope to see you soon. Very Happy

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2016 3:25 pm    

I appreciate the kind words, fellas.

Bobby taught me the proper way to work on a guitar--
Work for 15 minutes, search for 45 minutes for the tool you just had in your hand, repeat as required.

Oh, how I miss him.

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2016 3:55 pm    

C E Holden wrote:
I appreciate the kind words, fellas.

Bobby taught me the proper way to work on a guitar--
Work for 15 minutes, search for 45 minutes for the tool you just had in your hand, repeat as required.

Oh, how I miss him.

I too spent many an hour over Toni's kitchen table, just as you described... Very Happy Some of the best education time I ever spent, and not only about steel guitar.

He was a wise man that helped me through some very, very rough times, the big brother I never had.

My Masonic brethren here will understand this: In 1996, Bobby had only known me for one month, but he drove 280 miles to attend my Initiation. And of course, he was there for my Raising.

Miss him everyday, right? Crying or Very sad

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
C E Holden

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2016 4:11 pm    

Quote:
Miss him everyday, right?

EVERY day

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2016 6:26 pm    

I had Craig do the work on my 64 emmons and it is now my main gigging steel. Plays like a dream.

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2016 6:54 pm    

Guys, I don't mean to hijack a post, but I wanted to share this. I was working a lengthy case once and it took me out to Bob's neighborhood almost every day for about a month or so. Bob had taken me under his wing as a steel player because as many people don't know, he was cop MANY years back. My partner happened to be a bass player and was some 15 years younger than me and I was 10 or so years younger than Bob. We would go to his house around lunch to see what he was working on and he would be just getting up and around for the previous nights work. He was actually building me a guitar that we did some horse trading on at the time. Of course, Toni was gone to work. So, we get to the house this one day and Bob meets us at the door in a pair of shorts, no shirt, suspenders and house shoes. And he was frying bacon!!!! No shirt and frying bacon!!!! We still laugh about that in the squad room to this day. I'm sorry men. As you were.
billy tam R.I.P.

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2016 3:21 pm     push/pull mechanic

guy's If CE learned from Bobby what a fun way to get an education. I was always getting to Bobby's house around lunchtime after driving for about 5 hrs from Baton Rouge and there was always something on the stove for supper when Toni came home. I spent many hours with him but would love to be able to spend many many more, he is definitely missed. Worked on the last 6 or 7 guitars I've owned. You are a lucky man CE. I just had my '74 p/p mechanically restored by Mike Cass but will call you if I have any problems.
Thanks,
Billy
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2016 11:24 pm    

C E is a great guy, and does an awesome job with steel guitars ... also, a good steel guitar mechanic familiar with mechanics of an Emmons push pull will have no problem working on Promat....

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 2:43 pm    

Thanks for the kind words, Damir!

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 4:51 pm    

I too miss Bobby every day. He was as sweet as he was crude, and that comment about work for fifteen minutes and search for a tool or part for 45 minutes made me laugh out loud.

Something else, Bobby, who lived and breathed pedal steel guitar, was very proud of Craig and felt privileged to have someone like him to carry on his lifetime of knowledge.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 28 Aug 2016 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 5:47 pm    

C E Holden wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, Damir!

you are very welcome my friend... Smile