| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Direct Box Receiving Monitor Feed??
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2016 11:08 am    

A buddy of mine is playing bass for a musical being put on by a local school. He is running his bass into a direct box and then another cable feeds his signal to his little bass amp, which he is using as his monitor.

He said that at rehearsal last night, he could hear his bass coming through the mains just fine; however, he said that he was hearing both his bass and the keyboard coming through his amp.

Is it possible for a direct box to send his signal to the board and then also receive a monitor feed, through the same cable?
Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2016 4:32 pm    

Beats me.

This should be wired bass->DI box input, then DI box output ( 1/4" ) -> amp. Then there's an XLR to the mixer to what is hopefully just an input and doesn't have any keyboard signal to it Smile

Here's a pic. of the Countryman 85:
http://www.amazon.com/Countryman-DT85-Type-Direct-Black/dp/B00BBVXW16

"Instrument" goes to the bass, "AMP" to the amp, the XLR is in the back and not shown in this picture.

( the 85 is active but as I recall, the passive Countryman DI boxen have the same holes on 'em ).
Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 4:59 am    

Les - He confirmed the box has only three jacks. Bass guitar to quarter-inch input. Quarter-inch output to his amp. XLR out to the board.

They rehearsed again yesterday evening. I'll get an update from him today.

Lee
Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 10:09 am    

Well, my buddy said that at rehearsal last night, there were two keyboard players. One plays all the piano parts and the other plays the various horn parts, as well as some sound effects.

He said both keyboards were coming through his little bass amp, along with the bass. The sound guy couldn't figure it out and didn't seem to be too inclined to spend any time on it.

It's a pretty big production, so he has other things to worry about.

Oh well....

By the way, this is a production of the musical, "How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying".
Henry Brooks

Los Gatos, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 2:27 pm    

If the XLR output of the direct box got connected to an output of the mixer. The output would come thru the monitor,bass, amplifier. But the Bass wouldn't be in the mix to the mains. The transformer in the direct box can pass a signal in either direction. Normally, the transformer in a direct box steps it's output voltage down but, If it was connected backwards it would step it up and into the input and monitor bridging circuit.
Henry
Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 7:57 pm    

Henry Brooks wrote:
If the XLR output of the direct box got connected to an output of the mixer. The output would come thru the monitor,bass, amplifier. But the Bass wouldn't be in the mix to the mains. The transformer in the direct box can pass a signal in either direction. Normally, the transformer in a direct box steps it's output voltage down but, If it was connected backwards it would step it up and into the input and monitor bridging circuit.
Henry

That's hard to do , because a mixer output is usually ( almost always, dern near rounded up to "always") pins where a mixer input is usually holes.
Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 8:05 pm    

Lee Baucum wrote:
Well, my buddy said that at rehearsal last night, there were two keyboard players. One plays all the piano parts and the other plays the various horn parts, as well as some sound effects.

He said both keyboards were coming through his little bass amp, along with the bass. The sound guy couldn't figure it out and didn't seem to be too inclined to spend any time on it.

Oy. Does he have access to an active DI?

If this is doing this on an active DI then my brain hurts.

Lee Baucum wrote:

It's a pretty big production, so he has other things to worry about.

Uh.... well... uh... Whoa! Shocked

I am sure he's busy, but that sorta trouble is worth chasing down, IMO.

Lee Baucum wrote:

Oh well....

By the way, this is a production of the musical, "How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying".

Smile
Lee Baucum

Post  Posted 7 Jan 2016 5:39 am    

I think there must be a wiring "issue", perhaps in the audio "snake".

I recommended that he talk to the sound tech and ask to be moved to a different channel on the "snake".

Lee
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2016 7:03 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
I think there must be a wiring "issue", perhaps in the audio "snake".

I recommended that he talk to the sound tech and ask to be moved to a different channel on the "snake".

Lee

I agree. the only way this could happen is with crosstalk in the input wiring before it reaches the board.