| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  M.C.I., E.M.C.I. evolution revisited!
Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2004 1:50 pm    

I read the "Waco-vs-Arlington" thread last night with great interest. It seems that every brand or model of guitar has its "cult" following.
I've never owned an M.C.I. or E.M.C.I. but I feel that the tone on Buddy Emmons christmas album is as good as it gets. And Curley sounded like Curley on his Waco model D-10 that Johnny Cox still has. But, those two could get tone from a barbed wire fence.
My question for now is, How much of the E.M.C.I. design is being used in the Carter? I know they don't look alike or sound alike for that matter.
Just a side note, I saw Buddy play that Rosewood E.M.C.I. in Knoxville in '88 or '89. And from the back of the room it sounded like a million dollars.[check barbed wire fence statement above].
Thanks for responses.

Mike
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2004 2:53 pm    

One big difference in the EMCI and the Carter is that the EMCI had a welded aluminum frame under the cabinet. Also- while admittedly not addressing finger/scissor design differences, the changer in the EMCI has supports between each finger as well as the pillow blocks incorporated in the changer housing and, to the best of my recollection, the Carter has 2 supports between the independent pillow blocks(lateral changer supports). The newer Carters have "BCT" meaning Body Contact Technology whereby the changer fingers rest against the body as opposed to the MCI/EMCI and most of the rest of all-pull pedal steels have the changer fingers coming to rest on a plate/metal strip or against a plate on the endplate at the changer end. Also- again "to the best of my recollection", most of the EMCI's had cabinets constructed of "butcher block" design in an effort to achieve consistencey in sound. The Carter double neck cabinets generally are 2 piece in design- one for each neck-although Mark Giles would be a better source to ask. There are numerous other differences as well and it is a very interesting piece of steel guitar history to see how these fine instruments have arrived at the current state.
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2004 3:15 pm    

I worked at MCI/EMCI part-time in the mid-80's. Gene Fields came on board shortly thereafter, as did Red Rhodes. Red did some pickup R&D that I don't believe ever made it into production. Gene however, came up the maple dieboard and welded frame to make the body more rigid. To this day he continues to use both of these features in his own GFI steels.
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2004 8:59 pm    

I love my personal EMCI but find that it has more mechanical connections to the new GFI than any other brand of steel. Many GFI parts work perfectly on this guitar. Thank goodness.
Sound? This is why I love it. Not a push pull, but it has other redeeming values/qualities.
As I have said before, there is no perfect steel guitar for everyone.
bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 29 April 2004 at 10:01 PM.]