| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which riff should be my first riff?
Jerin Kelly

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2016 7:22 pm    

I just broke my first pedal steel out of layaway. I've got the thing tuned up ready to go. Trouble is, my Kieth/Winston book is still in transit. And I really want to play this thing. Can you guys recommend an easy, but fun riff? Tabs/video would be ideal.
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2016 8:02 pm    

Spend some time learning what your knee levers and pedals do. Licks will come later.

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2016 8:20 pm    

I agree, plus if you know a local steeler in your area, who is playing in a club band. go to the club and watch him or her, whatever the case maybe play. This way you can watch and learn how they work the pedals and knee levers., bar control and intonation.

The pedal steel is a precision instrument so proper placement of your bar on the string is paramount. Also right had placement. It is good you are interested in playing this beautiful instrument called steel guitar.

When you go to tune your E9 use a chromatic tuner, and when you do tune, remember to tune your second, third and sixth string 12 cents flat . Whenever you tune your strings openly. the other strings are tune straight up 440. Of course in the book, they should tell you that.

I have been playing for 36 years, and I still learn new things everyday on how to play. Be open minded and never afraid to ask people here on the forum questions. There are a lot of good people here, who will be more than willing to help you out.
Tommy Shown
Trent Harris

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2016 6:53 am    

Check out all the lessons on You Tube and also the tablature here is great from guys like Dick Sexton as well as many others. Between the two there is enough to keep you busy for a long time!! I've only been at it for 3-4 months and haven't gotten through even a small percentage of what's here.