| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Good, inexpensive solid state combo
John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 4:24 pm    

I'm looking for recommendations for a small, solid state combo amp for small room gigs with lap steel. I think that something with 25-50 watts, reverb, and a 10" speaker would suit me. Something in the $200- range.
I'm currently using a Peavey Classic 20, but the tone is a little harsh for my taste. Thanks!

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 4:42 pm    

I think people were raving about Roland amps
a while back....do a search.

Here's one for $200.
http://www.roland.com/products/cube-20gx/
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 5:44 pm    

I've heard good things about Peavey Pacers, but I've never tried one. Same for the Peavey Special 130. Both have more power and I believe 12 inch speakers. Both come up on Craigslist from time to time, often well below $200.

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 6:51 pm    

I use a Roland CUBE-40GX. 40 watts, small, lightweight amp, and it has a beautiful tone; lots of adjustments possible with this amp. (It is a modeling amp). 10" speaker. Normally sells for around $249, you might find it on the net a bit cheaper if you search around a bit.

BTW, I have a hard time with Peaveys' as well. I can't get that harsh tone to go away either. I have a Peavey Bandit 112 (50 watt) and it is very particular about the settings.

NJ
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 6:34 am    

Try changing the speaker. Do you have any spares laying around? I have done this many times and it has completely changed the character of a few amps.

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 9:29 am    

Roland Cube 40 watt!!!!! Light, cheap, sounds great.

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 3:39 pm    

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have thought about changing the speaker in the Classic 20. Any suggestions on a speaker that will warm it up a little bit?

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 5:34 pm    

I have this Drive CD200B that I bought from musicians friend for $29. Its pretty astounding, I keep on wanting to buy a new amp, but can't really find anything wrong with this one.....
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 5:29 am    

John Rosett wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions.
I have thought about changing the speaker in the Classic 20. Any suggestions on a speaker that will warm it up a little bit?

Try a Celestion or maybe a Jensen, they might warm and darken things up a bit. I'm usually looking to add more sparkle and definition when I change a speaker, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

Lewiston, Idaho
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 8:05 pm    

Small light 10 inch speaker with real reverb and about 35 solid state watts? It sounds like you want to find a Peavey Backstage Plus. I have played through one and thought it sounded good. Double the power is a Bandit 65, double it again and you have a Special 130. I love my Special 130, but it sounds like more power and weight then you need.

For whatever reason, the Backstage Plus is usually really cheap, as in your budget could buy you 3 or 4 of them. You will have to try it out to know if it has the sound you want.
Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2015 8:50 pm    

Peavey Envoy 110 is in that category. 40W, single 10, lightweight, decent-sounding, cheap on the used market. I picked up a USA-made one (from early 2000s) at Guitar Center recently for $90. It's not a "mini" amp; it has what I'd consider a "normal-size" 1x10 cab, but it's still light, only 22 lbs. The bigger Studio Pro 112 is nice as well, not too heavy at 34 lbs, also cheap used, and pretty gig-worthy.

As for smooth-sounding speakers, a hemp cone such as an Eminence Lil' Buddy may do the trick. I put an Eminence Cannabis Rex in a very bright-sounding Blues Jr recently and it tamed the high end nicely.