| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ZUM Encore pickup advice
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 13 Nov 2015 6:33 am    

Here's a shot of the current pickup- I'm not sure what it is? I'd like something with a better signal to noise ratio- currently its consistent with a variety of amps, tube and ss. I'd welcome any advice from Encore players- thanks.
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2015 6:08 am    

That looks to be a Lawrence 910. I have not installed one of those in an Encore but from some experience with them in other guitars I would think it would be a good match. I am not sure exactly what you are referring to when you say you are looking for a greater signal to noise ratio although I am familiar with that electronics term.

Are you looking for greater output from the pickup?

Pickup height relative to the strings is important. If you have not experimented with different height settings you should do so. I think those pickups like to be fairly close to the strings.

Hottest output does not necessarily correlate to sweetest tone. Don't be afraid to use the loud knob on your amp.
You may already know all of this, I'm just trying to be helpful.
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2015 6:37 pm    

Thanks Doug- I appreciate the advice, and you build an excellent guitar. The signal to noise comment = its a noisier pickup than I'm accustomed to. For me that translates into a non-issue live but a problem when recording. Thanks for the reply.
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 3:43 pm    

It does seem odd that one of those pickups would be noisy. I have a 12 string version on one of my guitars and it's pretty darn quiet. You might take a good look at the solder joints. Other than that I would not know what to suggest.
Thanks for the compliment, I hope you will enjoy your guitar for many years to come.
John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 4:38 pm    

I have that pickup on my Stage one, I like it a lot.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 7:46 am    

Asa, what other steels have you used and did you find the pickups to be quiet enough ?

I am very surprised that a Lawrence pickup isn't quiet enough. What other pickups have you used that you were happy with ?

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 8:15 am    

Hi Bob- there's a setting on my emmons pentad that i like best. I've used some very quiet george L's in a GFI and an ETS in the past. I really liked a true tone in the GFI, despite some noise.
Judging from the responses, my problem seems to be an anomaly. Doug, I'll take your advice re: solder joints, and perhaps rewire the pickup.
I'm still curious what other pickups Encore players are enjoying.
George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 9:22 am     Encore pickup

I ordered a Zum Encore for a friend with the stock humbucking pickup. It sounds great and is totally quiet.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 12:26 pm    

Asa,
There must be some problem because the Lawrence pickups tend to be quieter than the ones you do like.

Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 2:15 pm    

Seems to be the consensus. Bob what would you recommend for a pickup, should rewiring not work?
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 7:15 pm    

Asa, I have an Encore with the stock humbucking pickup and it sounds great. It has a growl to it that I really dig. I play an Emmons P/P on gigs that I know I'll want to play C6 on and although its different I dig the Encore's tone as much as I do the E9 on my Emmons, which has stock pickups.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 9:27 pm    

Asa,
Since you like the Emmons pentad pickup maybe try one of those if they fit and are available. I could try to wind you a Tonealigner to your tastes and see if that works. We should talk first. I would maybe do whatever Doug (who builds the Stage One after all) suggests.

Sligo, Ireland
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2015 6:01 am    

Hi Asa,
I play an Encore with the stock humbucker pickup. Great sound quality IMO, and very quiet.
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, 2002 Fender Telecaster, Alden Mandocaster, Boss Katana 100-212, Stage One V/P, Tom Bradshaw Resonator Pedal. Wampler Paisley Drive, Wampler Ego Compressor, Boss Super Chorus, Simble Overdrive.
Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 19 Nov 2015 6:29 am    

Success! Rewired the pickup yesterday- nice and quiet now. Nothing looked wrong or weak in the connections, but something was. Thanks for talking me down from a new pickup all-