| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning Problem - A Pedal, String 10 (E9th)
Nate Hahn

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2015 7:08 pm    

Hello fellow pedal steelers. I have been struggling to get my A pedal in tune on the low B string of my E9th. It is flat. Now, I am able to tune it up to C# perfectly fine. However, when I do so, my B string also gets tuned up with it. So, the tuning peg for the pedal also tunes up the string. I can have the B string in tune and the pedal flat, or I can have the pedal in tune and the B very sharp, but I can't have both the string and the pedal in tune. Mad

I've been settling for having the B slightly sharp and the pedal slightly flat. The problem is slight enough that it doesn't sound egregious, but of course I would like to be able to have all my strings and pedals in tune. I also worry that it could get worse. Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this?

I am new to the forum, and though I've been playing pedal steel a number of years, I haven't learned some of the basic technical terminology. For example, I've included a picture of the underside of my steel because I don't know what type of tuning system I have, and I figure that might be a question that would come up. Please let me know if there's anything I can clarify. Thanks much.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2015 7:22 pm    

Sounds like a lack of travel on the A pedal. Need to loosen and back off the pedal stop just a wee bit so it can move further. Then, you'll probably have to adjust the 5th string C# as it will likely be sharp now.

Looks like Fessy bellcranks, but can't really tell make in the case. All Pull? If so, should be pretty straightforward mechanics.
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2015 10:50 pm    

The pull rod for the 10th string may be in the wrong slot.

Try the pull rod in a slot 1 notch higher (away from the body of the steel) than it currently is.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2015 10:46 pm     Tuning problem string 10 E9th

If the 5th B string gets tuned when you tune the 10th string, then you definately have a mechanical issue going on. It is hard to say what the problem is without seeing the guitar. The finger springs may need adjusting.

Also make sure the string's ball ends are turned with the smooth side up and that you don't have any rough spots on the changer bridge. Try dragging a cue tip over the bridge and see if it snags anything.

If you can't get the problem solved by following the suggestions that have been posted, you might want to try my SLICKUM-UP. At the least, I am sure that it will make your guitar play smoother if you use it on all the moving parts, the roller nuts, and the bridge underneath the strings. It may or may not solve your tuning problem. If the pull fingers are sticking or your strings have too much drag on the bridge, then the SLICKUM-UP will probably take care of those problems. See the For Sale Amps and accessories for the details concerning SLICKUM-UP.