| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Headphones with Nashville 112
Peter Graham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2015 6:09 pm    

What kind of headphones are you guys using with your Nashville 112? I've been using inexpensive sets, but need a cleaner sound as I improve. Is it just the intonation on a PSG or am I going to have to spend a lot of money to get the clarity I need.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2015 8:48 pm    

Regrettably the price of the headphones does not change the intonation Smile
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2015 8:49 pm    

For best sound and lowest cost, buy Mama some industrial ear protectors at Home Depot, pull the phone plug out of the jack in the 112, and let 'er rip!
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2015 2:33 am    

I have several SONY sets, I use them for everything, MDR V150 , $25 and MDR V300 $50, a step up from the V150. To me the sound of both is fine and both are very lite weight .I also have Sony CD30's which are full closed ear cans , probably better sound overall but a bit more weight.

I feel you will do well with the V150 or V300.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Peter Graham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2015 4:59 am    

My friend who is not a Steel Player but is an Elec Engineer thought it might be too many strings too close together, is that what we're dealing with here, is it possible to get a nice clean sound w/ H-phones.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2015 6:06 am    

YES ! You don't need an Engineering degree, just a reasonable good set of Headphones ! $50 will get you into a set you can be happy with.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2015 6:16 am    

Peter Graham wrote:
My friend who is not a Steel Player but is an Elec Engineer thought it might be too many strings too close together,

That may affect your ability to pick cleanly, but it has no effect whatsoever on the amplified sound. (FYI: I am engineer in audio electronics, etc., and have played steel for more than 30 years.)

Peter Graham wrote:
is that what we're dealing with here, is it possible to get a nice clean sound w/ H-phones.

Depends on how loud you want it to sound in your headphones, as simpler/cheaper headphones tend to break up long before your ears do.

Using the NV112 as headphone amplifier has its drawbacks though, as that - and similar - amps aren't exactly noise-less and distortion free at lower volumes suitable for feeding headphones. Turning up the amp-volume helps, but that requires headphones that can handle higher volumes, and at high levels through headphones your hearing will suffer over time - much quicker than if you listen via speakers in the room.

I mainly use cheap ($20) KOSS full-size headphones* for almost everything, that sound good overall but are not suited for very loud volumes - they break up. To allow for higher amp-volume settings without getting break up and/or hurting my ears, I insert passive dampening (resistors) between amp and headphone - about 12 to 20 db reduction (7 to 10 times lowered volume).

Some of the higher-cost "gaming headphones" tolorate high volumes a lot better, but they won't save your hearing if you fire them up too loud.

Advice: keep the sound going directly into your ears low, and train your hearing to differentiate between "excited ears" (which is harmful), "headphone break up", and "actual sound coming from your steel". That will help you to improve on your picking technique, and save your hearing down the road.
I have hardly ever let headphones feed my ears with audio peaks above about 82db, and am at the age of 62 quite happy with my hearing.

* http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/full_size_headphones/UR23i__UR23i_Full_Size_Headphones#/?color=bcdc66eb4916405aa50b1e1642bf804f
Philip Mitrakos

The Beach South East Florida
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2015 3:04 pm    

I had a 112 once ..and the headphone out didnt have much output..had to turn up the pre and post gain way up to the point of distortion ..
And I use AKG Studio monitor headphones ...