| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Attention Encore owners.What brand of strings are you using?
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2015 10:24 pm    

I have an Encore and I was wondering what brand of strings other Encore owners are using. I noticed that D'Addario EPS490's are the same gauges that are suggested in the manual, but I was wondering if any other company sells sets that have those gauges, or something close. What are you other Encore owners using?
Michael Coggins

Sligo, Ireland
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 1:05 am     Zum Encore Strings

Hi Bob,
I use Live Steel Strings on my Encore. I checked with Doug first as the standard sets are slightly different from the user manual recommendation.
E9 standard Stainless .012p .015p .011p .014p .018p .022p .026w .030w .034w .038w

I like the .022 plain 6th string. Great strings, stay in tune and i cant break one!
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, 2002 Fender Telecaster, Alden Mandocaster, Boss Katana 100-212, Stage One V/P, Tom Bradshaw Resonator Pedal. Wampler Paisley Drive, Wampler Ego Compressor, Boss Super Chorus, Simble Overdrive.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 3:50 am    

Jagwires on mine - standard gauges apart from an .018" 5th and an .012" 3rd (the 'Franklin' set).

It sounds great.
James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 7:39 am    

Hi , I use the same as Roger-Jagwire. JAMES TAYLOR
Steve Vroman

Albany, NY
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 11:47 am    

Are the Jagwires still readily available ? I thought I read there was an issue with production or something. I just got a Stage 1 and the LLoyd Green set was recommended.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 11:55 am    

I got a shipment from Danny earlier this year - half-a-dozen E9 and C6 sets along with a bunch of spare .038"s, .018"s and .012"s. I'm good for the rest of 2015.
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2015 12:31 am    

I'm curious to know if any of you who used string sets that had slightly different gauges on a couple of strings had to make any adjustments? Also, thanks for all of the responses. I really like my Encore, its a pleasure to play it.
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2015 3:04 am    

I have a Stage One and I love the sound and feel of Cobra Coil strings on there. But, as I imagine with the Encore, the 6th and 10th string gauges of the stock package are a little light for the recommended gauges. And Doug and Bruce are right. The pedal action is too loose. So along with a package of Cobra Coils I also order single 6th and 10th string from the GHS Boomer Dynamites.
I've tried other strings brands and and this is just what I like. I only change strings once every year or so now so buying a couple extra strings is worth it for the slight bit of crunch and warmth the Cobra Coils seem to support for my amp, lil izzy and Stage One setup.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2015 3:53 am    

Bob,

I can't remember what string gauges mine came with when Doug shipped it to me but I imagine they were what he puts on all his guitars.

I've become used to that slightly fatter 3rd string (.012") so I put on my usual Jagwires at the first string-change. I certainly had to tweak the nylon tuners a tiny bit but there were no issues.

The Jagwires I use for E9 are the Paul Franklin set - that's .038, .034, .030, .026, .020, .018, .015, .012, .015 and .013".
Mule Ferguson

N Wilkesboro NC,
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2015 4:53 am    

Live Steel

Emmons La Grande D10, Zum Encore, Multicord,Marlen S10 1972, Nashville 112, Evans HVP #2, Peavey Profex ll, Martin, Merle Travis D28M Bigsby Neck.
D28 Henderson, Dobro and Tut Bro. Fender Tele, Stelling Stagehorn Banjo
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2015 5:12 am    

Bob Watson wrote:
I'm curious to know if any of you who used string sets that had slightly different gauges on a couple of strings had to make any adjustments? Also, thanks for all of the responses. I really like my Encore, its a pleasure to play it.

Any time you change string gauge, expect to need a tweak or two. If you change the 6th string from wound to plain or vice versa, this is a BIG deal. Otherwise, it is a small tweak.