| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Universal pro/con
Cody Angel

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2015 9:14 am    

I currently play only the E9 tuning with 5x5 and am wondering about double neck vs universal. I have Emmons pedals (on 2,3,4) and all the standard changes plus raising the first string and sixth string a whole tone on pedal one and the Franklin split between P5 and LKR. P1 gives me "P7" when used with the A pedal and gets the whole step first string raise out of the way as I never use it with pedals but to G I do(all changes listed below)
I found the uni tuning below on the sale page and the lock lever seems to eliminate my biggest problem which is the loss of string 9 (D). My tuning would be different from this but I included the picture for reference as the lock lever really sells me. I would have
LKL- raise E's vert- B-Bb LKR1 lower 2 to D, 6 to F# LKR2 8-D RKL lower E's RKR 1 to G, 2 to C#. Don't trust or like the feel of half stops and have to separate pedal 6 thing from lowering 6 so I would have to have 6 levers anyway
My reason for considering uni as opposed to double 10's is mostly having the chordal options in familiar positions. I think would like the option of moving between the two ideas fluidly, but deffinately want to learn the 6 style correctly and not sound "niney" when I don't want to.
Pro's I see- options, learning one tuning and shortening the learning curve being a fret off. Saves a couple pedals as I will for sure keep the P7 idea on E9 and can do P6 with one change on a lever
Cons- without the lock, losing string 9, give and take with not being able to have every option on the 6 tuning side. Losing the open strings used on the records. Ie Remington ride in C# 😁😜
Thoughts? Thanks!

Laughing Laughing

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2015 10:14 am    

If I were to go back to a 12st tuning I would skip the universal thing. Since you want things to remain familiar why not just add a C# string between your 4th and 5th string and some sort of lowest string note ? Feel free to come over with your steel and we can investigate. What looks good on paper can be goofy in practice.
I live right up the road in South Austin.

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2015 10:24 am    

I'd love to get together man! Thanks! Adding that seems way more confusing that throwing some extra on the bottom to me...?