| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  easiest hand placement on tone bar for control?
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 10:57 am    

Since I've started back playing, I'm having trouble with control of the tone bar.
Before I put my first finger on the bar in a bent position. I mean the tip of my first finger would be on top of the bar with the joint of my finger bent up. but I'm having trouble controling it that way. I've also tried laying my first finger down flat.
what is the best position for control and vibrato on the bar? I want to be able to roll the bar instead of wiggle it.
Peter

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 11:49 am    

I have never been good at rolling the bar for vibrato, so you could hear the scratchy sound of wiggling the bar.
Now I use a Red Rajah bar and the vibrato sound is clean.
No more worries about vibrato technique. I can hold the bar any way I like best.
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 12:54 pm    

Peter, where do you get the Red Rajah bars, and what diameter are they? are they round, or do they have the trough?

------------------
TW Sneed
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 3:56 pm    

Terry, I'm not a pro by any means, but most of the pros I've seen have a very relaxed left-hand most of the time. Likewise, I feel that holding and controling the bar should require very little effort, so I personally don't advise anything like a real firm grip. It should be as natural as holding something large, like a magic marker, when you're writing. Overly tight grips, or applying too much downward pressure with your index finger causes cramping, and makes your hand get tired too fast! If you can't hold the bar all night (five 40-minute sets) without your left hand getting tired, you're probably doing something wrong, or just plain holding it too tight.

That said, everyone's physiology is a little different, so strive to do whatever you must...but never "strain" to do it unless you're straining to overcome some physical handicap.
Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 4:24 pm    

The bent first finger is something that I've heard people recommend. Somewhere along the line, that's the way I've ended up holding the bar. Although I don't use the rolling technique for vibrato, I'm wondering how easy it would be to roll the bar with the first finger bent.

Although I had the bent first finger position in the back of my mind a few years ago when I started on steel, I couldn't comfortably do it. Now though, it's the most easy and natural for me. Whereas before I had trouble controlling the bar that way, somehow the efficient use of the hand has developed over time.

I suppose there's no law about it though. The other day I was watching a video of Buddy Emmons playing a slow tune, and he had his hand pretty much laid out flat.

[This message was edited by Jeff A. Smith on 01 March 2004 at 04:28 PM.]

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 4:50 pm    

Your index finger should rest lightly on top of the bar. I like to keep my fingertip as flat as possible and bend slightly at the second knuckle. I've heard the analogy that it should feel like youre tapping the ash off a cigar.(not a smoking endorsement!)
The bar is gently guided by the middle finger resting behind on the strings with the Ring and Pinky. The thumb should barely be pushing the rear end of the bar into the second knuckle of the middle finger. It's a very light grip, just enough so you can roll the bar in a relaxed motion AND still be able to pick it up. It will come more naturaly as your intonation starts coming together as second nature.

[This message was edited by Rick Schmidt on 01 March 2004 at 04:52 PM.]

[This message was edited by Rick Schmidt on 01 March 2004 at 05:00 PM.]

William Peters

Effort, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 5:14 pm    

Terry,

Such a simple thing, holding the bar. But come to think about it, I also have a bar problem. (ok, no jokes now) My fingers are large, and I have trouble picking it up off the strings. Anyway you are not alone.

Bill
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 6:38 pm    

Bigger bars (15/16ths" and 1")are easier to pick up,slant,tip and manipulate in general - and vibrato is easier to play smooth. -MJ-
Peter

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2004 7:28 pm    

Terry, I got the Red Rajah and a Black Phoenix from Al Brisco at www.steelguitarcanada.com
The tone is slightly less trebly. The bar looks like a normal bar.

I usually tuck the "bass" end of the bar in the soft "fold" between my thumb and index finger. That gives it some grip.
IF I want to pick the bar up, I just bend my index over the round tip and squeeze my thumb and middle finger slighty together and of course the "fold" holds the other end. That gives me enough grip to lift it.
When playing, I hold my hand flat and relaxed. If you would tap my hand, the bar would fly out. If I play on the first fret, I do the "bar pickup" grip. That makes my hand narrower.
Good Luck!
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2004 1:08 am    

If you're having cramping problems, try flattening out your hand so that your little finger starts pointing back toward the tuners. I saw Joe Wright doing this on a video and it really helps. I had trouble picking up the bar when I first started, but now it seems easy enough, with no conscious change - just practice, I guess.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2004 2:55 am    

In general I have the forefinger flat, sometimes with a slight arch, but not much.
But if the hand cramps, I have no issue just changing hand position to make it stop.

The flat finger is a hold over from dobro bar.

I find different places on the neck, slants and where on the strings I am concentrating, especially for C6, determines left hand form.

As long as you are generating good tone on all strings, anything that works and is confortable is not wrong.

I have a Red Rahjah, which I did like till I chipped it, and just got a tapered Black Phoenix and really like it a lot.

I compare it to the double-end 7/8 twister, and it is easier to get a consitent tone.
I compare it to the 15/16 and the tone is comparable, but it is MUCH faster.

I think part of this is the taper, which is very un-traditional, gives me a better hand angle to strings, and the difference in weight at either end for C6 makes for a nice preasure balance on those fat low strings.

The small end is smaller than 7/8 and is not a problem. plenty of weight for the small strings and large too.

The black coating is everything it is reputed to be, very fast, quiet and easy to grip.
The only negative is the coatings fragility.
But treated right it is very cool.
The 7/8th red is going back for re-coating.

And back to hand form, it seems to have a natural feel... for someone without 30 years on the same bar 7/8ths bar night in and night out.
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2004 6:04 am    

"and I have trouble picking it up off the strings. Anyway you are not alone."

I also have that problem.

David, do you mean the bar is literally
taperd? taperd at the front? hmmmm, maybe that would help with muting the strings with my ring and pinky. does it for you?

Thanks guys.

[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 02 March 2004 at 10:01 AM.]