| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Single Coil PUP in non-Emmons guitars
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2015 5:31 pm    

I just installed an Emmons single coil pickup (about 20K ohms) in a Williams S10, E9 tuning. I definitely hear more noise with the Emmons than the humbucker that it's replacing. BUT the Emmons sounds better to me. The Emmons is sweeter and more even sounding. The upper strings don't take your head off. I'm hearing a lot of the warm, buttery sound that I normally could only get from an Emmons steel.

The Williams still doesn't sound quite as good to me as my Push-Pull Emmons, but it sounds much better with the Emmons PUP.

I had to shave a little plastic housing off the Emmons to get it to fit, but that was the only hitch.

Has anyone else tried an Emmons single coil pickup in a steel other than an Emmons? What did you think?

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2015 7:54 am    

I had one in my Zum. Sounds wonderful. It would be in it still if not for the dreaded a/c hum.
NRA Life member
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2015 1:00 pm    

i put em in my zum many years ago. the zum pickups were fine, but the emmons are slightly clearer and prettier. no hum problems.
i've decided old single coil emmons pickups are just plain best for steel guitar.
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2015 1:05 pm    

I just finished another practice session with the Williams with the Emmons pickup. I can't get over what an improvement the Emmons pickup is for this little keyless single neck all pull guitar. I was seriously contemplating selling the Williams as I just couldn't get the tone I wanted with either of the two prior pickups. Now with the Emmons PUP installed I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping the Williams.

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2015 1:26 pm    

Good deal, Paul! I don't know what makes the Emmons pickup special, but they are. The one I was using was originally 20k but I had Harold Saunders cut it back to 17.8k ohms and made it even nicer.

Chris, I'd sure love to know how some of you are lucky enough not to have a/c hum. For me, at times it's just way too worrisome. Other times hardly any hum at all. It's just a risk I don't want to take.
NRA Life member
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2015 4:14 pm    

james, i can only imagine it has something to do with the electrical grid. maybe california has a stronger overall system....though i've played all around the world.
only on a 'very rare' occassion have i dealt with some hum. ..and that was either bad wiring in a funky place, or lots of dimmer and neon thingies...
or maybe i had cords laying across others on stage.
not something that i had to worry about. and i've played lots of different places for many many years.

i've never played a steel with humbuckers.
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2015 5:01 pm    

They sounded great in a D-10 Carter I once owned.

Phone: 971-219-8533
James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2015 7:08 pm    

Chris, I sure wish I knew your secret! Maybe you're just incredibly lucky and I say good for you! Cool
NRA Life member
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2015 1:27 am    

No reason why any pup will not work with another guitar, as long as it fits and can be mounted. The Emmons SC's are great.

ahhh and uggghhh. There is no secret to single coil hum, if you are fortunate enough to NEVER play a room where the nasty hum comes alive , great, but when you do ,it's a game changer. It has nothing to do with brand, it's the characteristics if a SINGLE COIL. Think Telecaster here !

I have no problem with anyone countering my comment with all the so called fixes and contraptions to make it go away, bring your Steel to the Wagon Wheel in Salisbury NC and get back to me. Smile Single coils in that room, all of them, any guitar , are working in the 50/50 mode...hum/music. One look at the stage, the wiring, the lights, the multiple dimmers, how the wiring is routed etc, you know you are in for a treat ! This was a steady gig for about 3 years and the ONLY room for me where the SC hum could not be contained. Not just for me, but for every local Steel player who ever worked the room. Can we all say "HumBucker" together please...! Smile One time I brought two Steels for the Fri gig, The Carter with True Tones and a bone stock Emmons Legrande with SC's...nahhh...waste of time.. Sad Easy fix, Saturday I pulled the SC off the Carter E9th neck and put in one of the HB's I had...that night..problem solved.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 4:25 pm    

Band is kicking, drummer is playing 2Bs and the lead player is set to stun, last thing I worry abut is a little hum. Amp placement can make a big difference too...