| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vertical Knee Lever
Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 11:01 am    

I have a new vertical knee lever for my guitar. I was wondering about putting my C pedal change on that lever....

What say you...
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 11:27 am    

I, personally, would never do that. The reason is, there are many times when you have to hit the C pedal fast. A knee lever, especially a vertical, would take too much time (plus you might launch the guitar into the third row of the audience). Some have just the E to F# on a lever instead of a C pedal. I would love to see 2 players, one with a regular C pedal and the other with the E to F#, or even the whole C pedal change on a lever, compare how they would play certain fast licks. I had the E to F# change on some of my earlier guitars, but still kept the C pedal. I could never get the lever plus A pedal to work together fast enough.

Just my opinion.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 11:50 am    

I have the E-F# on the vertical, and KEPT the C-pedal change also - the vertical is really nice to use in combo with the A+B, but the C-pedal change also has some nice applications (with and without B), and is faster. And sometimes you want to hear coming off A+B before coming on to B+C - the vertical blurs that which also is nice sometimes.
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 2:36 am    

I think lowering B's to Bb on a vertical is extremely useful and probably why it has remained a nearly standard change on most modern guitars. It changes AB to minor, makes a diminished with BC or AB and E lower, makes an augmented with A and flats the 5 of a no pedals major.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 4:45 am    

... and on a uni it's the most commonly-used lever if you're thinking B6.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 5:41 am    

Do not do it. You could never pull off various licks on a knee that you could using a pedal.

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 11:29 am    

Agreed that "losing" the standard C pedal would make some faster moves much more difficult, but I see no harm in using the vertical for an additional 4th string whole tone raise, which would allow unique combinations with A & B which would add versatility to the B & C-type voicings (as Richard and Steve have said). I've seriously thought of trying to incorporate that change in the past, but I'm very settled now on my coped, and it would be too invasive to try to add it now.

In any case, there are so many ways to do things that I've learned never to rule out anyone's coped ideas....
Paul Hoaglin

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 11:33 am    

And personally, I never liked having the B-to-A# move on the vertical - I use it so much more now that it's on one of my RKLs (but YMMV and all that stuff)....

Last edited by Paul Hoaglin on 14 Sep 2015 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 11:35 am     adding the vertical knee as a c pedal voicing

I've tried to learn this Pedal Steel Business for a long time, but always had interruptions.

I'm gonna add this Knee Lever, to do that work, hopefully to make it easier to learn, at least for a little while.

Since I'm a good Steel Guitar Mechanic, it will be a piece of cake to do this. At the very least, my knee lever will be installed.