| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Unbelieveable tuning stability on my Mullen.
Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2015 9:44 am    

Back in May I bought a '99 Mullen D-10 HWP. I was totally unfamiliar with Mullen guitars, but it was for sale locally & I was looking for a 2nd backup guitar, and I would never buy a musical instrument unless I played it first, so I am relegated to buying locally. I got the guitar home & it required a bit of tweaking,adjusting,new strings on both necks & lubrication.(Big Thanks to my buddy John Widgren who walked me through a couple adjustments over the phone)
Anyway, I was scheduled for open heart surgery on July 13th, so I set the steel up next to my bed so I could just roll out of bed & practice. Tuned the guitar & all stops a couple days before surgery. Now, I was too weak to play the first couple weeks after I got home from the hospital, but I started playing by the end of July. Here is the unbelieveable part:

It is now September 5th, and I have NOT...repeat...NOT touched a tuning key or hex tuning adjustment since before my surgery, and the guitar is still in perfect tune 2 months later! Even with my central A/C vent blowing right on it,and the fact that I clean my strings vigorously after each practice session (hey; I'm a cheapskate & strings cost money!) all the strings & stops are still perfect (just checked them). I've been lucky to have steels that have great tuning stability, but this Mullen is RIDICULOUS! Even my LeGrande D-10 can't do that. Gotta tune it every couple days or so when practicing at home. And, did I mention that this Mullen has ZERO cabinet drop? Try as I might, I cannot get it to drop pitch, or go out.

AFAIC, you can keep your compensators,counterforce stabilizers, etc. This Mullen has them ALL beat.

Is this unusual, or are all Mullens like this?

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2015 10:06 am    

Yes, it's unusual. Whoa!
Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2015 3:54 pm    

Surprised
"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent."

— Steve Martin

Last edited by Bob Knight on 9 Sep 2015 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2015 12:41 am    

Guess I'd better have the surgery Smile
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2015 2:59 pm    

Mullen must have gotten that wood from the petrified forest. T.L.
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 4:49 am    

I bought a Mullen D10 off the forum one time from someone in Michigan. He had bought it from someone in Texas. Anyway, when he sent it to me in the same box he got it in, for some reason it went back to Texas. When I got it, from Texas, and set it up it was still in tune enough to play. Not perfect but reasonable.
Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 6:24 am    

I have an RP D-10 and I rarely have anything beyond a minor tweak to a few of the lighter guage strings. Quite remarkable and among the best equipment you can buy.

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 6:48 am    

On my guitar, after I got it in tune about 10 years ago, I welded everything in place and have done nothing to it since. Although, every once in a while, I have to take some sandpaper and take the rust off the strings. Whoa! Rolling Eyes
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 7:34 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
On my guitar, after I got it in tune about 10 years ago, I welded everything in place and have done nothing to it since. Although, every once in a while, I have to take some sandpaper and take the rust off the strings. Whoa! Rolling Eyes

You're also a bass player, aren't you, Erv?

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2015 7:36 am    

Rick,
I have those strings welded in place also! Whoa!
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 3:03 am    

As long as the testimony continues, I'll add mine. My narrow SD10 tuning is extremely stable as well, and there have been plenty of gigs where I just set up and play and its still in tune right out of the case! This often occurs on indoor gigs where the temperature is always in the mid 70's. Extreme temperature outdoors has its effect of course, but even then the guitar is still in relative tune regardless! Pedals and levers? I haven't adjusted a hex tuner on it in probably close to a year now.

I keep thinking I just got lucky, but it is a Mullen!
Mark Lawrence

Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 5:11 am    

Same story here. 20 years playing my D-10. Set it up at a gig and just start playing. I would be surprised if a string went a little flat.(it has happened) But not to worry, I have my 3 dollar clip on tuner for such emergencies. I too can not remember the last time I needed to use the tuning wrench. Awesome guitar!This Mullen will never be for sale.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 5:46 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:

I wish I thought of doing that..all these years I've been turning those metal/chrome looking things that poke up....geesh.. Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 7:15 am    

Tony,
Yes, I kind of forget what they're for. Whoa!
Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2015 2:21 pm     tuning

Being very hard of hearing, I rarely have to tune up my Fessy SD-10. It always sounds good to me. Really though, I have to tune up periodically, but not everyday or week. t stays in tune for a very lengthy time. Of course my 1 yr old grandson likes tweaking those knobby thingies on top. He loves steel guitar too, goodie goodie!!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy