| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  pickup upgrade?
Justin Mills

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2015 4:48 pm    

Hello everyone,

I just started playing pedal steel about a month ago. Played guitar for about 20 years and always wanted to learn steel.
So I ended up with a carter starter,in great condition,using a dunlop gcb-80 vol pedal, and a stage 100 fender amp. I'm still looking around for a peavey nashville or sessions.

My question is, is there a pickup that is normally bought as an upgrade for my carter or is the stock one good?

Thanks for any input on this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2015 5:07 pm    

Justin, I don't know much about the carter starter, but do a search, perhaps you'll stumble into the answer to your question. Good luck on your journey!

Last edited by Edward Rhea on 5 Sep 2015 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2015 6:06 am    

Justin, I don't think a pickup upgrade would even be noticed at this stage of the game. The stock one will serve you fine for the duration you have the Carter.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2015 8:08 am    

I'd keep the pickup and trade off the guitar. Whoa!
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2015 8:23 am    

The pickup is one of the best parts of the Carter Starter. Clean and strong, and better quality than the rest of the guitar. As others have said, you won't gain a thing by changing the pickup. I suggest concentrating on learning to play, chord positions, scales, techniques, blocking, picking, etc. and in a year or so sell the CS and buy a pro model.
Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2015 11:15 pm    

I have to agree with the above posters.. the carter starter is the first steel I ever had... I usually say that it was a good thing to "realize I wanted to get a real steel guitar" I had it about 2 weeks before i realized that I had to upgrade...

The pickup is NOT your problem in any way on that guitar.

I would say this however as you go on your journey... if you're a long time guitar player don't discount everything you like about guitar when building your steel rig... as a guitar player I like tube amps and single coils.. when I started playing steel it seemed like everyone liked solid state and hum buckers... well after a long line of gear including a steel king, Evans amp, mulitiple hum buckers with a "single coil" sound.. I've found myself back at the beginning... nice Fender and fender style tube amps and single coils....

Steel guitar tone is not vastly different from regular guitar tone... if you like clean and processed on guitar you will probably like that on steel, and if you like gritty and dirty on guitar you will probably like that on steel... neither is right or wrong but I'd say trust your ear especially if you have been building it on guitar tone for 20 years.
jay thompson

east peoria, il USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 2:21 am     pickup upgrade?

Go here to ask about your pickup upgrade. The pickup is, most likely, not the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT1TvjnlYHM

Regards Jay Thompson