| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hi from NZ - Coming to Nashville - Need some tips
Toby Kearns

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2015 3:30 am    

Hi all, I'm very new to the forum and couldn't work out where to put this but here goes..

I'm a long time guitar player, very new steel player (have been secretly jealous of steel players and their chords for many years!) and this Kiwi's dream holiday is starting on Saturday which will have me in Nashville the week of the 24th August.

I've timed it to see Paul Franklin and the TimeJumpers at 3rd and Lindsay on that Monday night but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on other steel players, bands I should check out that week?

I'd love to get together with some steel players to pick their brains, shoot the breeze about guitars, steel guitars and have a beer or three if anyone's up for that too.

My good friend Paddy Long tell's me you're all a great bunch too by the way, and I have to thank Him for putting me onto this forum. What a great place!

Anyway, here's a little clip of me messing around this weekend past having a crack at Albert Lee's "Country Boy" on my trusty Tele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ5xZq14k3M

Cheers,

Toby
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2015 8:06 am    

Find out where Chris Scruggs is playing and go see him. He'll probably be at the Stone Fox.

Go to the Station Inn if you like bluegrass music.

Wander up and down Broadway and stop in to hear any steel players there.

Definitely stop by Steel Guitars of Nashville in Henderson if you can.

Of course, the big vintage guitar stores are always worth a stop. Carter Vintage Guitars, Gruhn's, and Artisan Guitars are all recommended.
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2015 9:30 am    

I'm speechless Toby. Really good!

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2015 7:42 pm    

Toby,

Some ideas, hopefuly helpful. Not sure how many steel players you'll meet or see though.

Nashville Scene, search for music in the next 7 days. Lots to pick through but you may get lucky http://www.nashvillescene.com/

Country and Western Wednesdays at the 5 Spot, cool place, but small. Rub shoulders and whatever with musicians in general http://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/08/11/country-western-wednesdays-celebrate-classics-community/31457575/

Don't forget a few hours at the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Cash Museum.

I think Mike Sweeney is still playing at least one night a week at the Nashville Palace out by the Opryland Hotel and other bands have steel players but hard to tell which ones by the schedule. You can find its website.

Not sure if you can see a steel player, but the venue is relatively small and relaxed, good craft beer, and music is always teriffic and varied at the Music City Roots shows http://musiccityroots.com/events/ but you'll have to make it out to a place called "The Factory" Franklin. Plus if you go there and get there before 5 PM you can visit Artisan Guitars (upper upper end) of acoustics.

And Franklin itself isn't bad to briefly visit, walk around and eat at Puckett's and catch evening entertainment that's always good. They're on the web too.

If I can think of more, I'll let you know.