| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cleaning/Repairing Lacquer Finish
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2004 9:01 am    

I'd like to make my 77 MSA as presentable as possible. The finish on this guitar ranges from "pretty fair" to bare wood around the logo. There are also a fair amount of dings between the necks where the space was obviously used as temporary storage Dirt is probably the biggest issue.

What's the common wisdom for a healthy cleaning of wood surfaces? Is there any way to reduce the effects of the surface dings and/or even out the lacquer over an area? I don't intend to disassemble the mechanics, but, can certainly get into crevices with picks/swabs. I need for the guitar to remain playable during the process.

Thanks in advance.

Howard P

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT-L
77' MSA Classic D-10
Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2004 9:24 am    

Meguiar's #7 show car glaze. It is available in auto parts stores. It does not leave a build up. I have a Lacqer PP and it makes it look really nice.

------------------
Lacquer Emmons PP,D-10, 9+9, Nationals, Dobro-8, Dan-O's, '70 ES 340, Scofield-Ibanez ES, Tube Amps. "Blue Sparks From Hell", "Kings in Disguise".

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2004 11:46 am    

How To Repair Dents And Scratches - As told by Ed Fulawka

1. Sand edges of dent to make them smooth. Use at least 600 grain sandpaper. Always sand wet, but do NOT use water, but „white gas“ (fuel for camping stoves).

2. Stain. Rub the stain onto the wood with a piece of cloth. If it gets too dark, lighten it with 0000 steel wool.

3. Sanding sealer. (I assume this is some kind of filler, ask for it in paint stores.) If necessary, thin it with 3 parts sanding sealer and 1 part lacquer thinner.
Put masking tape right at the edge of the dent, then spray sanding sealer - with a spray gun - as many layers as necessary to make the surface even with the adjoining (intact) one. Afterwards sand with #600 sandpaper.

4. Wash with soapwater (dishwashing soap).

5. Wipe dry and wash again with white gas.

6. Spray lacquer on, again as many layers as necessary to make an even surface. (Ed says he usually does just one.) After each layer, sand with #600 sandpaper and wash with soapwater.

7. Polish, always by hand.

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 27 January 2004 at 11:47 AM.]

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2004 11:56 am    

I sure do wish Ed had told me that BEFORE I attempted to repair the scratch on mine...

Joe
Terry Hickey

Arroyo Grande, California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2004 2:37 pm    

Howard,
I have 30 years in finishing (mostly with lacquer) behind me. Ricky's comments are very good and to the point. If possible get lacquer with fisheye flowout added to the product.This will eliminate a possible problem with silicone contamination.(little small holes in the finish.)

Thanks, Terry

[This message was edited by Terry Hickey on 27 January 2004 at 02:38 PM.]

Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2004 2:40 pm    

Well this may sound like a little leg humping but... the truth is Ricky knows exactly what he is talking about and has the experience and the finished projects to prove it. Heck Ricky ...send the man a couple of examples of what you're talking about. I gotta tell you that if I had a guitar in poor shape and I wanted it like new again both top and bottom I would send it to Ricky. I know what I would get back and I know I would be happy. The problem with a person who wants to save monies and try to restore it himself or herself is this. Many times you will run into a gray area. What I mean is that Ricky printed out specific instructions but many times something will happen along the way and "a little something extra" may be needed. The end results may turn out less than you expected and it just might hurt your feelings. Now please don't misunderstand me. I am not trying to "shoot" you down for wanting to work on your own guitar. All I am saying is this. If it is your only guitar and it "must remain playable throughout the project" then just maybe you are asking too much of even yourself. If, however, you are a very determined individual....then tape everything off really good and go for it. Whichever you decide...I wish you all the best my friend...

Ray
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2004 2:50 pm    

Quote:
If it is your only guitar and it "must remain playable throughout the project" then just maybe you are asking too much of even yourself

As I originally stated, my goal is quite modest. I won't be doing a restoration just sprucing it up with a "healthy cleaning".

Thanks for all the input folks...

hp

[This message was edited by Howard Parker on 27 January 2004 at 02:52 PM.]