| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vintage steel question
Bob Thomason

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2015 5:27 pm    

I happened up on a Supro Comet body and wondered if I should refurb with non original parts or try to sell as is ? Thanks
Greg Moynihan

Bremerton, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 3:34 am    

Is it painted, or wrapped in MOTS? If it's the MOTS, run away, that stuff is impossible to modify or repair and the wood hiding underneath is as cheap as they could get that year.

What type of comet, what is the condition, and how much original hardware is missing? Also, are you buying the replacement parts, or do you have a cheap/free stock of those? Is it a good looker? Post a couple nice pictures if you can, that will answer most of those questions.

Honestly, it is nearly impossible to make any money flipping an instrument like that either way, because there's an abundant supply of complete instruments on the used market. In vintage instrument shops, they're usually tagged for $350 give or take, and they often sell for a good bit less that on this forum, craigslist, eBay, etc. Plus, there's new, super-cheap instruments that sell for 150 or less online. To me, an old lapsteel with mismatched parts on it, a few extra screw holes, and the usual modification issues is probably worth about $50.

I upgraded the pickup and tuners on my lapsteel, and I love playing it to bits, but I estimate it would sell for much less than the cost of those parts I have added
Bob Thomason

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 9:46 am    

Here's a pic , non original tuners and input jack plate
Missing control plate/bridge, and PUP

Greg Moynihan

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 12:59 pm    

That is helpful. So, this Supro is a relatively common 6-string, economy model. It is wrapped in that infernal plastic, which it seems to be intact. With some luck and TLC, you could clean it and it might end up looking very nice. The tone of the original pickups is/was usually plain and bit thin, sometimes OK with overdrive in a blues or rock context. To my ears, the tone is not sweet and pleasant enough for Western swing or Hawaiian pop.

You do have some useful original parts in there: the plastic pickup assembly cover and nuts. You could probably sell these parts alone for few bucks.

Those modern tuners probably work better than the originals due to the higher gearing and better tolerances, but they look clumsy the way they're cock-eyed. They were not installed by a craftsman, but that's fixable.

So, the biggest problem here is that you're missing the metal body plate, pickup, and bridge assembly. As you probably know, this is the most desirable part of the whole guitar. People often steal this part and mount it on a standard guitar, which is known as a 'coodercaster'. It is strange, but sometimes one wants strange. In more bad news, the string spacing here is a bit wider than a regular guitar, so a regular guitar pickup could have string balance problems. Plus, the amount of strength required to anchor the strings on top of the body here requires this plate built out of metal.

Maybe you could find a matching pickup assembly in some drawer in some guitar shop, and all put together, it would make an OK beginner steel for someone, sell-able for a hundred or two.

Or, you could add a more professional steel pickup such as an Alumitone, Lace, Lollar, or a Rickenbacker, fabricate a good bridge and anchor system, and get the string spacing all dialed in, possibly widening the nut. That would make for a nearly pro-level, great playing instrument, possibly a fun project, but again, hard or impossible to find a buyer who'd pay the cost of the work and parts. Similar or better instruments trade for as low as two or three or four hundred. Good luck, and have fun!
Bob Thomason

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 2:55 pm    

Thanks for all the info. I will probably try to sell as is or fab a bridge , cover plate and use a P90 or somesuch . Lollar PUP is 265.00 . No can do. i have very little money in the body so I can sell it cheap.
John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 8:26 pm    

I was given the same guitar(different color) in the same kind of condition. At the time, I was lusting for an early 50's Fender, but couldn't afford it, so...

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2015 8:27 pm    

I should add that it sounds great, and is really fun to play.

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 4:34 am    

Nice! did you make that tailpiece? Was it difficult? I know a fair bit about woodworking, but not much about metal.
John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 4:42 am    

Ryan Rukavina made it. He can probably help you out with parts.

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2015 4:50 am    

Thanks to all for the ideas
Bob Thomason

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2015 5:22 am    

Hey John,
What pickup did you use ? Is the control panel plastic or metal? Thanks
John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2015 5:57 am    

It's a Squier Tele pickup that Ryan rebuilt-new magnets, more winding. The plate is just plastic.

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2015 6:19 am    

Thanks,