| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  reason for playing!
Jerry Warner

Charleston, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 9:20 pm    

I thought the reason for playing steel in a band was to make the singer sound good because he is the one at forefront of this thing,but if you want to do a solo on stage or wherever thenyou want to be the star and not the singer and thats whats its all about is backing the singer then you need to get a drummer and bass and go for it,all well just my thoughts anyway!
Robert Thomas

Mehama, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 4:18 am    

If you are in a band , the whole group of members should be striving to make the whole band sound good, not just the singer. I think the whole thing gets lost if there has to be a primadonna that has to outshine everyone else. I believe anyone who performs wants to do what they like the best, but to be great as a group they must function as one well oiled machine (that is not a pun)because many of them do get oiled.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 5:46 am    

As they used to say in the old Certs TV commercials, "Stop! You're both right!" I think it depends on what kind of a "band" you're in. Are you really a "band" wherein someone (or maybe several people) sing? Then, I'd agree that everyone plays to make the whole band sound good (which includes making the singer sound good, btw!). If, however, you are in somebody's "Backup Band" and there really is a featured singer, "Joe Palooza and the Backup Band", then you play in an even more supportive role, probably take fewer, or at least shorter, solos, etc. to really make the singer shine. Just my dos pesos.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 6:56 am    

What Jim said. I seek out groups that have singers (and songs) who turn me on and turn on a crowd. If I'm not enthusiastic about the singer (and songs), I'm not in the group. I'm not good enough to do instrumentals on my own (like Jim is!), so I look upon it as the singer making me sound good playing some minimal backup and stumbling through an occasional ride. It's not all about the singer or me. It's about when it all comes together and thrills the audience (and me).
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2004 8:29 am    

Jerry, I'm moving this to the "Steel Players" section, which is where topics like this are usually found.