| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gretsch lap steels from the 1930s
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 5:51 am    

I just purchased this septuagenarian, mainly because it was a cheap 7-string; it should arrive in a few days. The seller indicated that it worked, but there's an issue somewhere in the electronics (worst case scenario, the pickup will need a rewind).

Now, I've seen a few Kay-built Gretsch steels from this period, but not one quite like this. The "Artist" designation on the headstock and the 7th string suggest a more expensive model than the body shape and simple decoration. The other Artist steels I've seen had checkered binding and colored plastic headstock veneers. Does anyone know where my steel falls in the history of early Gretsches? Was there a whole line of Artists (like the later line of Electromatics)?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 6:53 am    

There are a couple of pictures of the 7-string Artist model on this web site --->
http://gretsch.forumactif.com/t737-gretsch-electromatic-lap-steel

One is listed as 1936 and the other is 1938. The 1938 one has a very ornate headstock. Evidently the Artist was a production model, but they seem to be fairly rare. I've seen a couple of others for sale on line over the years.
Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 7:29 am    

I have a Silvertone Deluxe from 1940 with the same pickup assembly.

I'll be curious to know what you find with the electronics. The pots were bad in mine (beyond cleaning)

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 8:44 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
There are a couple of pictures of the 7-string Artist model on this web site ---> http://gretsch.forumactif.com/t737-gretsch-electromatic-lap-steel

I saw that page; unfortunately, they just copied information from elsewhere, errors and all. I was hoping that someone would have some catalog scans from the period, but they seem to be thin on the ground.

Frank James Pracher wrote:
I'll be curious to know what you find with the electronics. The pots were bad in mine (beyond cleaning)

They described the pickup as "scratchy", so hopefully it's just the pots; that would be an easy fix.
C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 9:18 am    

I have a Gretsch 7-string Lap Steel, and 3 Gretsch 6-string Lap Steels. The headstock design on each of the 6-string models is different. Below are links to photos of each of these steels from my website.

7-string Gretsch Lap Steel c. 1939

1st. 6-string Gretsch Lap Steel c. 1939

2nd. 6-string Gretsch Lap Steel c. 1939

3rd. 6-string Gretsch Lap Steel c. 1939
A6 tuning for steels
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2015 6:16 am    

Frank James Pracher wrote:

I received the steel this morning. The pickup and pots work; the problem that the seller referred to appears to be a bad grounding connection. I can only silence the ground hum by touching the output jack. Should be an easy fix, though.
Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2015 6:37 am    

There is a wire under the metal part of the bridge that connects to ground. Probably broken or possibly corroded and not making contact.