| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Slide Accessories Thoughts
Keith Barron

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2015 11:37 am    

I am very new to my console steel. I am alone except for these groups, lessons and any good youtube videos I can find. Anxious to get started, I purchased a Dunlop 920 slide, nylon thumb pick and 2 finger picks. I was struggling to keep the finger picks on. I'd pick a string and they would occasionally pull right off. I tightened them more. Tried again. Not much better. Finally I had an epiphany. I had them on incorrectly with the pick up over my finder nail. I had claws like Wolverine. Lol. I got them turned around now, much better.

I find the 920 bar pretty heavy. After a while of using it I did more research to learn that the 918 is maybe a better choice for my 8 string dual pro? Should I stop using the 920 ASAP and get the 918? Is it lighter? I don't want to develop bad habits with the 920 if it's not recommended. Thx.
Doug Clark

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2015 1:15 pm     Re: Slide Accessories Thoughts

Keith Barron wrote:
I had them on incorrectly with the pick up over my finder nail. I had claws like Wolverine. Lol. I got them turned around now, much better.
It was probably only some photos on a manufacturer's Website that kept me from doing something like that. "You do know that's not how those go on?" "Umm . . . I know now." Embarassed

Quote:
I find the 920 bar pretty heavy. After a while of using it I did more research to learn that the 918 is maybe a better choice for my 8 string dual pro? Should I stop using the 920 ASAP and get the 918? Is it lighter? I don't want to develop bad habits with the 920 if it's not recommended. Thx.
Hmm, I can't find the 918 on Dunlop's site now, except for a mention that "The 918 Professional was Designed specifically for Jerry Byrd, Premier Hawaiian Guitar Player."
According to the SGF Store, the 918 is 5.5 ounces, vs. 8.5 ounces for the 920. (I just noticed the SGF store has bar pouches, too. Good stuff. Cool)
http://www.steelguitarshopper.com/accessories

I'm starting out with a 920, also, plus a Lap Dawg. I haven't decided yet which I like better.
I think I read something somewhere about using a bar long enough to cover as many strings as you might use at one time, but of course there'd be a "point of diminishing returns" on that, even on a six-string like I have.

If the 918 turns out to be better recommended for you, I don't think you'd develop any bad habits by using the 920 until the replacement bar arrived. It might even turn out to be like that thing about using heavier strings to practice on a fretted guitar, and so being faster when you play lighter strings later. But that's just one noob's opinion. Smile

Last edited by Doug Clark on 6 Jul 2015 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2015 1:15 pm    

I would certainly recommend the 918 bar over the 920 bar for playing 8 string. I believe the 920 is more of a pedal steel bar. Your mileage may vary, but I much prefer a nickle bar over stainless. It slides over the strings a lot smoother and quieter.
Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2015 6:02 pm     Re: Slide Accessories Thoughts

Keith Barron wrote:
I am very new to my console steel. I am alone except for these groups, lessons and any good youtube videos I can find. Anxious to get started, I purchased a Dunlop 920 slide, nylon thumb pick and 2 finger picks. I was struggling to keep the finger picks on. I'd pick a string and they would occasionally pull right off. I tightened them more. Tried again. Not much better. Finally I had an epiphany. I had them on incorrectly with the pick up over my finder nail. I had claws like Wolverine. Lol. I got them turned around now, much better.

Unless you've got pretty big hands, I'd think that you'll have an easier time working with the 918 on the 8-string. The 920 will be somewhat cumbersome when you're doing slants or using the nose of the bar for single-string work. John Pearse also makes a great bar that's the same size as the 918; I like that one a bit better.