| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for small amp suggestion
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2015 8:08 am    

I'm looking for suggestions for a low watt reasonably priced amp. I would prefer a dual channel since I double on PSG and Tele.

Let's start by saying I am very fond of my Roland Cube 80XL's. I am impressed with the versatility and tone.

I find that I have to push the 80XL to get the tone I want and sometimes that's too much. I have had to set the volume as low as 9 to 10 O'Clock sometimes. I've tried pointing the 80XL in all different directions but it's closed back and very directional.

We mic everything, play mostly small venues, and are serious about low on stage volume. Our sound person is very good at mixing FOH. We get consistent comments that we sound great because we are not too loud.

When we play outdoors or larger venues I can always use one or both 80XL's. In fact I have a gig this month with a different band playing Tele only and I guarantee I'll be cranking the 80XL to at least 75% max volume and it will handle it very well.

Cost is a factor or I would have Tim Marcus build me a 20W Creamer like the Sideman.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2015 11:29 am    

I have the Roland Cube XL40... fits on the back of my bike... great for medium or mic'ed gigs, sounds really good for acoustic guitar... 10" speaker but ported for bass response, plenty loud. I've seen them for less than $150 on CL, they're not that expensive new. It has a 'power squeezer' button that takes it down to several watts, you get that 'stressed' sound at much lower volume. Also, it's only 2-wire, so no ground loop problems, fully isolated.

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 9:07 am    

Check out Roland's "Street Cube"
Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 5:21 pm    

A Fender Super Champ X2 might work for you.

IMO, you cannot use all the stock patches as they are. I at least needed to use the FUSE software to tweak them.

I used to use a Super Champ XD with a nominally acoustic band - some sound reinforcement but not too much. The clean channel on the X2 is pretty much the clean channel on the XD, give or take.

The X2 has the "Twin" model, the "Jazzmaster" model on channel 2 and the clean channel on channel one that might work for steel.

The line out is pretty good; might save you a microphone. Since the speaker doesn't roll off that much, you don't have the problem you'd have with a "normal" steel speaker of too much harsh treble from a line out.

20ish watts, 20ish pounds. Some have done a speaker swap on them and claimed good effect.
Jerry Tillman

Florida
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2015 6:31 pm     Quilter mach 2 8

I use a Quilter Mach 2 with 8 inch speaker a lot with my pedal steel,it has two channels and I play my tele in the other channel.Has a rally good line out put to run to the board.20 pounds.You can dial in a large or small amp sound.Thanks Jerry
Mike Heugel

Taylor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2015 1:20 pm    

Also check out the VOX modelers - even the older AD30VT's and 50VT's. They've got a goofy little circut that implements a preamp tube into the power section, and they come with a built in attenuator. Easy to manupulate and takes pedals fairly well, although you'll probably want to swap out the stock speakers to taste.

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2015 2:09 pm    

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm thinking of going with a small tube amp like a Princeton or Deluxe.

I'm also on the lookout for one of the newer 5 watt tube heads and combos.

I wish I could afford one of the new small wattage Quilters or Milkman but I've got another surgery coming up.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2015 5:50 pm    

You'll probably get a lot of suggestions. Here's mine.

For the low volume setting you require, a Deluxe Reverb really can't be beat. Of course,it has the two channels you mention as necessary.

A 70's model is great. A 60's model is too expensive, even though, circuitry-wise, there is little, if any difference from those built in the next decade. I'm not a big fan of reissues even though many swear by them. There's a whole lot of difference in doing a side-by-side comparison of the earlier hand-wired, point-to-point models and the reissues.

Put in a few words, one can rarely go wrong playing through a Deluxe Reverb.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2015 6:27 pm    

What Eric said. A Deluxe Reverb is the true "desert-island" amp for a helluvalotta people. Also a Princeton Reverb kills for low-volume situations, but only one channel. Never bothered me, I just run both guitar and steel through the same channel. If I need more gain for guitar, no problem using any clean boost for that. Silverface is great on any of these, and half the dough of a 60s blackface.

I pretty much could not live without at least one of each. Vibrolux too.

One more thing. If you don't mind using a reverb pedal, a Princeton or Deluxe (no-reverb model) is just great. A bit cleaner, a bit more focused. I have a blackface '64 Deluxe no-reverb, it is one of the best "clean" amps I have ever heard, bar none. Not quite as much juice as the reverb model, but absolutely gorgeous. Similar for Princeton no-reverb, I've had a bunch and I probably will snag one again when I see one at the right price point.
David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2015 8:47 am    

The Fender Blues Jr. gets overlooked too. I recently used one for some recording, and I loved the result. 15W? So, not loud, without becoming dirty, but I think I will be using one even more.

Ditto the above about the Deluxe Reverb though (mine is a re-issue head, and I love it), and it's power might be a better middle-ground, depending on your needs.

Sincerely,

David Spires

N. Rose, New York
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2015 6:25 pm     Amp

I have a KB30 that has many uses. Add a reverb and good for steel. 3 imputs of which one is a mic input. Can also be run thru a system and used as monitor. Small and linght. Bob
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2015 9:55 pm    

To echo what Dave said, the BF non-reverb Deluxe is a bit of a sleeper. A bit too clean for rockers. Has more clean headroom. Makes a really sweet PSG amp. Find a reverb pedal you like and you are golden.

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2015 5:25 am    

Well thanks to all. I'm looking for a Silver Face or Black Face Deluxe or Deluxe Reverb. I'll settle for a Princeton as well.

I'm also considering a Blues Deluxe if it's original and not a reissue. The price on those amps is more reasonable and the lead channel would sound great with a Tele.

It may be a long search depending on price point.