| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question For Carter Experts
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2015 6:32 pm    

I am completely changing the copedent on a Carter. I rodded it up according to the chart on the website. When I tuned it up I ended up with no slack on the A & B pedals. I need more travel. I can't come up with a allen wrench to fit the pedal stops. Also there is a little felt pad where the other pedal stops hits the underside of the guitar. Is that supposed to be there or has someone added that. Removing them might give me the clearance I need, but I'm afraid it might be noisy then. Any help appreciated.
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2015 6:54 pm    

Carter uses a Torx-10 wrench, not an allen wrench. They can be found at a tool supply store. Same for the screws on the bell-cranks...Torx. Most places like Home Depot or Lowes only sell them in a set.
All my felt pads fell off and I can't tell any difference.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2015 10:08 am    

For the pedal stops, it is indeed an allen wrench, unless they changes after 1999 when I bought my Carter. The Torx wrench is for the screw that holds the bell cranks on. The allen wrench that fits the pedal stop screws, is 1/16". The felt pad could have been added by Carter after my guitar, which doesn't have them, or most likely added by an owner. It wouldn't hurt to remove them, and it shouldn't make the guitar that much noisier. I don't hear any noise from the lever that the pedal attaches to when it comes back to the body to stop. I haven't checked this, but those levers may not even touch the body if you have enough slack. The weight of the pedal may make that lever sit below the body. Again, I haven't checked that out.

Be careful not to strip the small allen set screws for the pedal stops.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
James Leaman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2015 1:25 pm    

My 2007 had the felt pads on new. They have since fallen off with no difference in noise. I presume they were on there in case the part on the cross shaft might hit the wood on quick pedal release.
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2015 4:50 pm    

Thanks guys, that's the information I needed. It is the allen wrench pedal stops I was talking about. I have moved most every bellcrank with the torx screws already. You couldn't have planned an any more opposite copedent from what this man wants if you had tried. I think if I remove the little felt dots, it may free up enough room. Next is to try to find the allen wrench and after that is gonna mean moving to a different hole in the bellcrank. I'm getting closer all the time.
Danny Letz

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2015 5:00 pm    

Richard, 1/16 is right. I found that the one marked 1/16 in my Harbor Freight set wasn't 1/16 and neither was any of them. I went to a fastener store and bought 2 and they fit. Thanks