| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Vert KNL kit
stingray

maplewood ohio
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2003 11:28 am    

Does any one know if the rear apron has to be removed on newer Emmons steels, to add vert knee lever kits?

------------------
Gary L.Converse
(teach a kid how to play steel) KEEP PICKING!

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2003 1:16 pm    

No, you don,t have to move the apron. There is no way to move it anyway. There is a way to add Pedals and knees after the steel is built, but, if you don,t know what you are doing, I would suggest asking for advice from these guys. I know how, but, I would rather someone else show you. It is not difficult, just a certain way it is done. Hope this helps.
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2003 1:21 pm    

As Ron says there is no need to remove the rear apron to add knee levers to any Emmons' steel. And yes the aprons were not designed to be removed. I wish they had been. I believe that easy removal of the rear apron on any PSG is a superior design.

Also, depending on whether or not its a P/P or a LeGrande, determines certain things. And again like Ron says, tis best to seek help from those very experienced in it. UNLESS, you have a high degree of mechanical aptitude.

carl
Mark Tomeo

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2003 11:26 am    

Gary,
I recently had Billy Cooper add a vertical KL to my Emmons LeGrande. He had to tweak, freak and mill the cross shaft within a millimeter of its life to get it in and clear of the other changes. It can be done, but he needed a metal lathe to accomplish it. I wouldn't try this at home.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2003 12:57 pm    

I recently added three knee levers to the C6th neck on my LeGrande II, including a vertical. It really isn't a bid deal. Order the parts from Emmons and they will furnish a sketch that gives all the dimensions.
Erv
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2003 5:55 pm    

Stingray, Take a jaunt to Nashville and have Mike Cass do it. You won't regret it.
Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2003 7:12 pm    

Unless the guitar was built using custom knee lever placement the parts you would order from Emmons will fit right in. There should be no special machining needed to the parts. A removable rear apron would have some affect on the tone so the guitars have never been designed that way. We have experimented with different thicknesses of the front and rear aprons and there was some tonal effects especially to the first 2 or three strings on the E-9.