| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel as carry-on luggage
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2015 5:53 pm    

I'm leaving for a little tour in Germany next week and I'm trying to strategize on flying my Emmons SKH D10.

I have an SKB drum hardware wheeled flight case that I have modified to hold the body of the steel. Without the legs and pedal bar, it is under 50lb. Dimensions are 38" x 9" x 13". The legs and pedal bar and my clothes fit in a large hard-sided suitcase that will be checked.

This is actually smaller than most guitar cases in the height and width. Since the recent law requiring that Airlines must allow carry on of guitars and such, I'm hoping this will apply to my steel as well. Of course, explaining what a steel guitar is will be an annoying chore.

The airline is United and the equipment is a 777.

I wonder if anybody has had experience flying with a steel in the cabin?

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 29 May 2015 9:48 pm    

Lynn, it totally depends on individual cabin crew, it is too heavy for overhead lockers,and would have to go in wardrobe, if it has to go in hold ask to check it in at oversize bags, it normally goes through short belt straight onto baggage trailer and direct to aircraft avoiding miles of conveyer belts, or ask if you can gate check it, at gate ask check in agent if it can be cabin loaded, if not, ask to carry it down to aircraft where it can be loaded, and pick it up at aircraft side ( as per kids strollers)on arrival.If you are travelling within Europe by aircraft, you will not get it in cabin, carry on baggage rules are much tighter particularly on budget airlines where you will have to pay to even have it hold loaded.I was with a major airline for many years and after many fly gigs found it is getting harder and harder to get anything in cabin. Although as you say it is smaller than many guitar cases it is nearly five times weight of handbaggage allowance.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2015 7:59 pm    

Malcolm- Thanks for the info. Within Germany we will be travelling by rented van. So I'm just concerned about the international flights.

According to what I've found on the web, the outboard overhead bins in the main cabin accommodate 37.5" - which is exactly the length of my case. So maybe it can go overhead. I've also heard that you can sometimes just "play dumb" and carry it on board and stash in the closet.

I got a chase mileageplus business card, so I get early boarding, which should help immensely.

I guess this would count as my one carry-on, so I need to figure a way to carry stuff to have with me for the flight. I'm hoping I can wear a small backpack and put it under-seat.

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 May 2015 8:41 pm    

It always feels better to play your personal guitar, but for this vey long trip it might have been better to try to borrow or rent a guitar in Germany. Smile

Roger
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 31 May 2015 2:09 am    

Lynn, the weight of case could cause problems in overhead bin, it is normally around 10/15 Kgs carry on baggage allowance, and guitar is four times heavier, if you had heavy landing or turbulence and bin opened the weight of the case could cause serious injury or even death if it hit anyone, leaving you liable, ( my professional airline hat on here) , much safer to ask if it can go in wardrobe.If you can get friendly check in agent at gate stress value of instrument and ask if it possible he/she could speak to cabin crew about cabin loading.This has worked for me.Good luck with tour, hope you have a great time .
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2015 3:46 am    

I couldn't even arrange to borrow/rent a suitable steel when I went to Austin a few years ago- and I speak the language there Smile Also, I am too tall to fit under most steels- I need pedal rod and leg extensions.

Roger Shackelton wrote:
It always feels better to play your personal guitar, but for this vey long trip it might have been better to try to borrow or rent a guitar in Germany. Smile

Roger

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2015 2:16 pm    

If I were your fellow passenger, I would be apoplectically torqued (even as a steel guitarist myself...I didn't say a good one) at your violation of the spirit and intent (if not actual legalities) of carry-on rules. If for no other reason, if you took up the whole bloody bin above your seat, let's say 13C, with my luck I'd be in 13D. A little turbulence and that 1/40th-ton of sweet, sweet SKH tone would come barging through the compartment door like it was tissue paper, making my two S-10s and one D-10 orphans, even if the plane and the SKH itself made it to Germany safely.

I've had a couple of those 3611s myself and I don't care what your name is--Buddy Franklin, Paul White or Tommy Emmons--if I saw someone trying to shoehorn that SKBeast into the overhead, I'd raise enough righteous hell with the flight attendants, captain and air marshals that one of us wouldn't be making the flight.

Thank you for your consideration of your (on an international flight, several hundred) fellow passengers. Especially 13D.

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 31 May 2015 3:06 pm    

My advice - check it. Make sure you have musical instrument insurance, and just be prepared that they will do everything they can to damage it.

I've had 3 ATA flight cases (2 damaged beyond repair) in my 11 years of heavy road touring (with artists that hardly ever did fly dates), but never damaged the instrument!

David Spires

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2015 7:04 pm    

Ben- I am not planning on putting it overhead. I'm just saying that it would fit. And for that matter, I think it is extremely likely that an overhead bin fully stuffed with a couple rollies could weigh > 50lb.

That being said, I agree it is uncool to take up the whole bin (although I have frequently had to search up and down the aisle to find room for my simple backpack).

And I'm not violating the spirit or intent of carry-on laws. It is the law that you are now allowed to carry on your musical instrument, provided it meets the restrictions.

http://www.guitarworld.com/node/20407

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2015 4:06 pm    

Lynn I fly my Zums' with the same case - and I always check it ... never had any issues with damage to the guitar so it shouldn't be a problem for you.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2015 4:13 pm    

One thing to consider with taking a pedal steel as carry-on is that, once you go through security, there could be a lot of walking with no luggage trolleys available. Once you get off the plane at the other end, you probably won't see another trolley until you get through immigration to baggage reclaim.

I hope you've got wheels on your case Smile
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2015 6:00 pm    

Jeff Mead wrote:

I hope you've got wheels on your case Smile

Good point. Yes, it is a wheeled SKB case.

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2015 4:39 pm    

I decided to play it safe and just check it. For one thing, TSA would flip out over all the potential "weapons" in the guts of a pedal steel, I suspect and not allow it in the cabin for that reason alone.

The problem with checking it, of course, is the weight. It is around 60lb in case and over 50lb cost another $100/flight.

So- I took the pedals off the pedal bar. Pedals in my carry on, pedal bar in the case. I am disassembling the legs and they fit diagonally in my carry-on rollie. Same with the pedal rods. I need to take off the hex gizmos at the bottom, and then they barely fit diagonally. Alas, they weigh just a little too much to go in the case.

So, my steel, with the body and empty pedal bar is 49lb 8oz.

As long as TSA doesn't freak out about the stuff in my carry on rollie: legs, peterson tuner, delay pedal, bars, picks, strings, cables, I should be ok. All tools will go in a friend's checked bag. I shipped the volume pedal and other things over ahead of time.

London, England
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2015 11:17 pm    

Of course, if you flew with Sho~Bud airlines, you wouldn't have a problem...

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2015 4:07 am    

Wow- what a cool pic! I've never seen that one before. Is that Jimmy Day in the middle?