| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help me install another knee lever??
Aaron Shively

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2015 10:38 am    

Is there anyone in California that can help me install a right knee lever for the 1st string on my Dekley?

Thanks!
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 May 2015 1:42 pm    

Where? If you're near LA, I'd talk to Jim Palenscar.
If you're in the middle of the state (where the goofballs like to say northern California, just can't think what they call Weed or Yreka¹), I'd talk to Tom Bradshaw in Concord.

¹ don't mind me, I'm just the son of a map maker.
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 29 May 2015 3:02 pm    

Do you have all the hardware necessary? Do you have a left knee lever that moves the same direction as the one you want to put on the right knee?

If the answer to both questions is yes, you should be able to install the knee lever yourself just by copying how the left knee is installed. This isn't rocket science.

Probably you will have to drill a few holes in the body, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker. Mark the drill bit with tape, or in some other fashion, so you don't accidentally drill through the cabinet. Measure twice (or more) and drill once.

Also, be very sure where you want this new knee lever to be installed. If it's not installed in a comfortable position for playing you'll be dissatisfied with the results. Sit at the steel in your normal playing position and figure out exactly where this knee lever needs to go so it works for you. Don't put it someplace just because it's easier to install in that location.

Good luck.

I should add: There is Tom Bradshaw over in Concord who can almost certainly do this for you. He's probably in the memberlist. You could also try talking to Kerry Johnson at CosmicSteelmusic.com. I'm not sure if he would do this work or not. He's somewhere in the Bay Area.

Last edited by Paul Sutherland on 29 May 2015 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 May 2015 3:27 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
Where? If you're near LA, I'd talk to Jim Palenscar.
If you're in the middle of the state (where the goofballs like to say northern California, just can't think what they call Weed or Yreka¹), I'd talk to Tom Bradshaw in Concord.

¹ don't mind me, I'm just the son of a map maker.

We call weed marijuana.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Paul Hoaglin

Post  Posted 30 May 2015 10:23 pm    

As someone trying desperately to flee this whole state for parts north by northwest as soon as humanly possible, I resemble that remark! Whoa!

Actually I haven't called Weed anything for so long I barely remember - but that's the problem "up there," isn't it? So I can't even trust my own memory! Doctor, uh... what were we talking about? What state am I in? Wha?

Never mind, Lane has you covered.

(Pfew, back on topic! Sorta....)
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 31 May 2015 6:20 am    

Jim Palenscar can do it. You should see the levers he has installed on Rick Schmidt's Dekley. He would be my first choice.