| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jeff Newman Up From The Top
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 25 May 2015 2:35 am    

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I've been reading about this course and it looks like exactly what I need.

It's not cheap so I'd appreciate feedback on what other people think of it before I take the plunge.

If anyone has a copy they want to sell, please let me know.
Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 25 May 2015 5:59 am    

it's not cheap, but if you follow your way through the 3 books it will give you a firm foundation for playing pedal steel. jeff breaks down the steel's component parts (a&b pedals, d lever and f lever) and gives you constructive exercises to play with some live backing tracks.

the books also give you a really good idea of how to play "in the pockets" as they say. they will definitely get you playing, and help you make sense of all the other things you may be learning.

in my opinion, they're a great value in pedal steel instruction.
Leland Ogle

Baxter Springs, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2015 5:59 am    

Order them from Fran. You won't be sorry.
Lee
Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2015 6:06 am    

Great course to start with. Well worth it ,IMHO
DG Whitley

Post  Posted 25 May 2015 6:29 am    

...I totally agree with the above replies....money well spent, so much so that I have the entire video collection from Jeffran. But get the course, I doubt you'll ever have any regret.
Bill Davison

Just far enough away from Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2015 4:54 pm    

I have 'Right Hand Alpha' and 'Up From the Top'. Both are great. They corrected some bad habits that I unknowingly started and I was able to correct them early on.
James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2015 6:50 pm    

I honestly don't think it is worth the money unless a person plays no other instruments and has no idea what a steel guitar is. I am only talking about the AB pedal DVD. The DVDs that deal with the levers are pretty good. His old book "Music to Steel By" is absolutely terrific but hard to find.

The licks on the DVD amount to about 7 minutes worth of material.

Some people need a clean cut guy in a suit to explain things like where a backup lick belongs relative to the voice etc.

In all fairness, he leaves nothing out.

For basic back up, I think Dewitt Scotts back up book and CD is a lot better.
Bill Watson

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2015 3:21 am    

I was lucky enough to spend a week with Jeff in Sacramento at one of his steel guitar boot camps. I bought several of his courses over time and found all of the to be very worthwhile. I do have the course you are thinking of buying and it will give you a solid foundation to build from.
Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 May 2015 6:12 am    

Quote:
I honestly don't think it is worth the money unless a person plays no other instruments and has no idea what a steel guitar is. The licks on the DVD amount to about 7 minutes worth of material.

respectfully, i have to disagree. i've got two music degrees, one in jazz guitar, and i've been playing guitar professionally for 20 years. i found the newman courses were well laid out in a way that gives a clear overview of the instrument. i'd wager to say if you get the course to learn a few licks, then you won't get your money's worth.
Bill Davison

Post  Posted 30 May 2015 9:33 am    

I was new to the pedal steel and had been messing around with it for about a month and was going nowhere very fast. I realized I needed help and got several of Jeff's lessons. They got me going in the right direction and corrected some bad habits that I had begun to get before they got so in-trenched that it would have been tough to break. The thing I find difficult is using the video and trying to start and stop at the right place to learn what he is teaching. All-in-all, I think they are well worth the money.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 30 May 2015 10:53 am    

Leland Ogle wrote:
Order them from Fran. You won't be sorry.
Lee

Ordering the material from Fran is the right thing to do. This is how she supports herself. We should support her as much as possible now that Jeff's gone.
Bill Davison

Post  Posted 30 May 2015 12:02 pm    

Right-on Mike. That's where I got mine.
Dieter Stoll

Germany
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2015 5:07 am    

Being on the "wrong" side of the pond I ordered mine from Gerry Hogan's shop. I assume these copies are legit, they sure look the part.
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2015 5:36 am    

Dieter Stoll wrote:
Being on the "wrong" side of the pond I ordered mine from Gerry Hogan's shop. I assume these copies are legit, they sure look the part.

That's what I was going to do but they only have the VHS in stock Sad If you got it from Gerry's shop you can be 100% certain they are legit.

I'm not sure what the price difference from the US would be including shipping and customs duties (not forgetting the Post Office's "Handling Fee"). Just got a package with £3 customs duties but £8 handling fee Sad
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2015 7:30 am    

We're still supporting Fran if we buy stuff from Gerry.
Bobby Matthews

Westville Oklahoma usa
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2020 6:34 am     Jeff Newman up from the top

Does anyone know where I can buy Jeff Newman up from the top lessons everything I find says iris unavailable
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2020 6:42 am    

You can get it from Melissa. I have been ordering one E9 course every time she runs a discount special. I have almost all the E9 stuff now. I know there might have been some delivery issues in the past, but I have gotten everything I've order within 3 or 4 days.

https://www.jeffran.shop/shop?page=3
Bobby Matthews

Westville Oklahoma usa
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2020 7:03 am     Lessons

Ok thank you James which ones would you recommend nor a new beginner
James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2020 7:17 am    

Up From The Top the A/B pedals.

Let me add this,the first thing you need to know before you start anything are the "grips". I can't remember if Jeff teaches that but I can tell you that Paul Franklin has an E9 course that DRILLS that important concept into your mind. You'll get sick of playing "goodnight ladies" on one fret, but when you start playing scales, intros and solos, you'll be glad those grips are imbedded in your motorskills toolbox. It's probably the best entry course I've ever seen because he teaches you to know not only the grips but what inversion they are. That information will come in VERY useful when you venture into improvision. It will be helpful to know that before you start Up From The Top.
Pookie Anselmi

Galliano, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2020 3:23 am    

I bought Jeff's A/B pedals. Great stuff. I also really liked his Chord Connections lesson. As a beginner it really helped.