| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2015 4:32 am    

A few years ago I found myself doing a monthly gig in a room with horrific 60 cycle hum. Too many hardwired dimmers and such to get rid of it, so I went looking for a gizmo to address it. HumX was no help (since it wasn't a ground-loop issue). Finally tried the Electro-Harmonix Hum Debugger, and it worked like a charm. Minimal if any effect on tone; certainly not enough to matter in a loud playing situation. I've carried it in my seat ever since. Along with its wall-wart, it takes up some valuable real estate for something I hardly ever use (maybe twice in three years), but it's valuable insurance.

Last night I set up for a gig and everything sounded good. At some point during the first set, though, a loud hum entered my signal; some device must have been turned on somewhere in the venue as we played. Not the worst hum I've ever dealt with, but bad enough to effect my playing (didn't want to open up the volume pedal too far). Got out the Hum Debugger at the first break, and, voila!, no more hum. This was a relatively quiet situation (no drums) and I couldn't hear any affect on my tone.

This little pedal is really worth its weight in gold!
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 May 2015 4:40 am    

Yep. I've written enough that I have no interest in writing more but the tonal trade off, in a live situation, is worth it if the hum is either unacceptably bad or even, as in your situation, bad enough to affect your playing. The thing does not 'sort of' work. It works.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 9 May 2015 6:34 am    

Here is a link to a previous discussion. Note the links that Jon posted to even earlier discussions.

It's like fire insurance. You hope you never have to use it.....but......

Click Here
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2015 11:24 am    

Most of my guitars have single coil pups. I plug in the Debugger and I can pedal down and get a clean sound. I haven't noticed any tonal change other than the lack of hum and noise.
Alan Berdoulay

Post  Posted 16 May 2015 2:06 am    

Yup