| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  SURF TELE - Chapter 2 SOLD PENDING PAYMENT
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2015 3:37 pm    

My original buyer for various reasons that are immaterial decided he didn't want to keep it so we made a joint and thoroughly gentlemanly agreement that he would refuse it and it would come back to me which it did - I got it back today so I'm going to post it again with a little extra added to the description; so here goes:

I put this together for a surf band that didn't last long - needed something with a whammy bar which I don't normally have any use for. Anyhow, I could use the $$$ for some other project, so here goes: One piece sugar pine body (first one I ever made about 15 years ago) that's been plugged and re-routed a time of two and painted various colors over the years. Current paint is Rustoleum red that looks pretty good on stage. Pickups are regular Tele MIM that I got off E-Bay($65 as I recall) - they sound good. As you can see it's routed for a Strat tremolo(tricky routing job but it's right)(also about $60 on E-Bay).It has 3 springs and seems a little tight to me but I really don't know much about those things; it will do those Ventures surf licks though. - I cut an old Tele bridge to hang the PU on and it nestles right up to the trem bridge (trick I learned on the Tele forum - looks almost 'factory'). Trem is from E-Bay - don't know brand but I think it was about $65.00. Machine heads are Schaller clones($35 +/-) that work just fine. Gold hardware except neck PU cover. The guy who wired it only had a 5 way switch so I told him to make it like a Tele and use his imagination on the other two positions - I really haven't played it enough to figure out what they do. If it's more complicated that a stock Tele, I get lost - that's why I don't like Gibsons - too many knobs! I really like this neck and though about keeping it but decided to let the whole thing go together - it came off E-Bay ($125) and was made by a guy in CA who calls himself 'Mammoth Guitars' - supposedly worked for some of the 'biggies'. Real nice curly maple as shown in the pics - it has a 3/4" bone nut and fairly flat (I'd say 12 or 14 inch radius)with medium jumbo frets. Adjusts at the heel. I've got 10's on it and the action is pretty low. If I still had the surf thing going, I'd keep it as it worked real well for me and sounded good but I never really took the time to set it up properly. Despite being on the Gulf of Mexico , there's not much market for surf music around here - I think there's 2 or maybe 1-1/2 surf bands and they usually play for free. Around here, if you don't play Jimmy Buffet tiki bar music or blues, you just don't play.Plus, I've gotten more into jazz and playing in the pits for theater productions and I could use a spare amp. Weighs about 6-1/2 pounds on the bathroom scale.It's no Custom Shop job but it's a pretty neat little guitar.

I'll also include a brand new gig bag that cost me $34.

Price is $275.00 (which barely covers the parts - you might be able to part it out and make a couple bucks which is probably what I'll do if it doesn't sell) plus shipping - weighs about 10 pounds boxed up)

The first pic was before I put the pickups in.

Last edited by Skip Ellis on 13 May 2015 2:15 pm; edited 5 times in total
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 11 May 2015 9:12 pm    

No better fellow on the Forum to deal with. Take that to the bank.
Skip Ellis

Bradenton, Fl USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2015 3:02 am    

Thanks, Stephen!!!! Right back at you!!

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2015 7:32 pm    

Skip, if deal doesn't put me on your list.

Thanks

Tom Keller