| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Lap Steel a big hit with the School Kids...
Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2015 9:43 am    

The first line in this article says it all..."North Asheboro Middle School sixth-graders were intrigued by the lap steel guitar which Terry VunCannon introduced during Friday afternoon’s Blues in the Schools program."
I played the lap in the schools during one of my "Blues In The Schools" programs. The kids loved the instrument. In the Q&A time at the end, I had several questions about the lap steel, along with questions about the blues. Had two kids ask how they could get one of those instruments. A new generation being introduced to not only the blues, but to the Lap Steel.
http://courier-tribune.com/news/local/blues-schools-popular-city-schools

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2015 10:46 am     Very Excellent

Very Excellent about the Youth.

GeorgeBoards supports all efforts to expand longevity to the youth and teaching in general.

Please let me know if we can help in the way of getting low cost quality instruments to your future students as part of our Philanthropic efforts. Very Happy
YouTube Channel
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2015 10:47 am    

I played at a few elementary schools last year. First, I retuned to 6th and asked what it sounded like. They knew after a few notes, Sponge Bob!!! I communicated with the music teacher before coming, and the students were ready to sing along with many of the tunes. After playing, I let reluctantly them come up and have a close look at the lap steel. They were intriqued and a great audience. Just thought I'd share.
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2015 4:04 am     Re: Very Excellent

George Piburn wrote:
Very Excellent about the Youth.

GeorgeBoards supports all efforts to expand longevity to the youth and teaching in general.

Please let me know if we can help in the way of getting low cost quality instruments to your future students as part of our Philanthropic efforts. Very Happy

Right on George!
Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2015 6:13 am    

Thanks George...right now I am only to a level with sponsors to just be able to take the programs into the schools.
The next step would be in a position to take an instrument or two and give it to the school. Maybe someday, I certainly can not afford that right now, but, in time maybe I will be able to find a sponsor that could donate something to the program.
Tom Brantley of Brantley Rewinds has already donated a set of Strat pups that I was able to auction off, and apply that money to the cause. He called me up and it was his idea. Said he wanted to help in some way bring music to the kids. I was blown away by his actions.