| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Pro II tuning question
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2003 5:56 pm    

I just became the proud owner of an early 70's Pro II, and I'm starting to get familiar with it. The RK-R lowers the 2nd string to a half-stop at D, and then lowers the 2nd and 9th string down to C#. I know it will be simple once one of you experts explains it to me...

How do you adjust the pitch of the half-stop? And, is there a way to adjust it so that it's a more definite point? Right now the stop feels a little vague or mushy, so that the note sometimes is not a D but somewhere in between Eb and D (yuck!)...
Louis Schubert

Blue Ridge, GA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2003 6:35 pm    

On my earlier ShoBud, RKR only operated 2 to D & C# and had a unique 'second spring' device. On my ProIII, it appears that the rod on 2 has the nylon adjuster right up against the changer lever and there is a gap on the rod on 9 between the adjuster and the changer lever. Once you have 2 down to D the nylon adjuster on 9 finds the changer lever and gives you a little more resistance. It seems to be a darn tricky adjustment but since I never figured out how to get a cool lick using the 9th string drop and it wasn't on my previous instrument, it was never critical to me if the 9th string change wasn't right on the button. May be no help but hello from one Schubert to another.

------------------
Louis Schubert
ShoBud Pro III D-10 / Nashville 400 -
Getting better

Leon Roberts

Tallahassee,FL USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2003 7:17 pm    

There should be a half stop assembly under your guitar. It’s usually in line with the 9th string even though it operates the 2nd string. Tune the D# note with the tuning key. Next, tune the C# note with the knee lever all the way against the hard stop. Then, reach under the guitar and screw the brass barrel in or out to tune the D note. If you set your guitar in the case and operate the knee lever for the second string, you will be able to see how this half stop operates. I hope this helps.
Leon
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2003 8:09 pm    

On my ProIII there is a brass barrel that adjusts the tuning of the stop it's a two piece screwed together affair that is threaded with a spring in the middle. It is srewed longer or shorter to adjust it. You'll find that when cold, it lowers it more, so try to tune it when it's warm.

For the mushiness removal there is a second spring that is given tension by loosening the tiny set screw in the far collar and squeezing the spring together a little more, then tightening the screw again. Too much compression and it won't go all the way down. Too little and you won't feel it well enough.

I will post a pic if you are still having trouble and see if we have similar mechs. These Buds are all dofferent in one small way or another.

EJL

[This message was edited by Eric West on 20 October 2003 at 09:13 PM.]