| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Neo speaker or other upgrades for Peavey Special 130?
Joe Kaufman

Lewiston, Idaho
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2015 1:33 pm    

I just just rescued a Peavey Special 130 from grim future to use it as a backup for my Vegas 400. It occurred to me that it could be a useful amp in its own right, especially if it was even lighter. I'm thinking a newer 12" lightweight speaker in place of the Scorpion would be a worthwhile upgrade. Any other advise on making the lightest best sounding Special 130?

Thanks!
Pic:

Robert Bunting

New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2015 7:32 pm    

I got my Special 130 with an old EV 12 in it.
Great Speaker, Really heavy!
I tossed a Neo Eminence Delta-Lite in it to "lighten" it up, The deltalite is supposed to be similar to the EVM 12L.
I also tried a Scorpion in it, Which sounded good as well,
The Neo isn't that much lighter than the Scorpion.
I was considering building a head cabinet and using it with some other speaker cabs I have.
I had it apart, cleaning it up and I believe the particle board cabinet is the real weight culprit.
I had a fleeting notion of having a pine cab built for it.
Overall the amp sounded good with all of the speakers, and with both Steel and Tele.

Last edited by Robert Bunting on 22 Mar 2015 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Kaufman

Lewiston, Idaho
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2015 7:49 pm    

Any idea how many lbs might be dropped with a pine cabinet? I could probably build one myself.
Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2015 11:32 pm    

I just got in from a gig lugging the Special 130. Ye gods its heavy! But it really gits it when you need it to. Clean power and mid control. I too long for lighter setup. I use it for rockabilly band and play a D8 and tele through it at the same time. Killer amp for tele and steel. It is good for pedal steel too, but I am hooked on Session and LTD. I want to try neo as well. Jesus that amp is heavy! It looks so small, but its a little cannon. I ran it on 2 or 3 all night and it was plenty. I run some EP boosters in chain to give a little old time vibe. Great amp.
Roland Scholl

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 3:01 am    

I built a pine cabinet for mine, and the weight of that cabinet is the same as the original Peavey cabinet. I put a Jensen neo in, and the overall weight is now 47 pounds. I also extended the Peavey cab to accommodate a Peavey BW 1504-4 and this sounds the best for steel, the neo is ok for steel, but sounds better with the tele than the Peavey. the weight with the BW is 57 pounds.
Ryan Quinn

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 3:12 pm    

I don't think there's any getting around the transformer weight. Mine has an older EVM12L speaker in it, and I've thought of trying something lighter, but even with no speaker in it, it's a heavy amp.

Split cab, perhaps.

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2015 7:32 pm    

Yeah, I tend to think maybe you are right. It is still my go to amp for tele and D8 console steel. I just think big iron is hard to replace. I know there are micro heads and such that are great, but I just cant afford the good ones, and the cheap ones wont hold up to what I will put it through. I blew up a Gk mb200 in about 2 months. I am good for next 25 yrs with the Special 130. Big iron, little package.