| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tell me about MSAs
John Hall

Arlington, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2003 7:52 pm    

I've been offered an MSA SS 8+5 at a reasonable price (I think). Would anyone like to comment on these guitars. I know they weigh a ton and that's not a concern to a hobby player like me. Any other opinions would be great.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2003 8:13 pm    

Hi John,
They are heavy, but the machining is excellent. Structurally the MSA guitars with birdseye and lacquer were a great guitar with the exception of the notorious "uncommercial" tone. I just finished refurbishing my 1976 U-12 MSA. I replaced the original Super Sustain pickup with a TrueTone wound to 19000. The tone is totally different and a 100% improvement. Very similar to a ShoBud tone. The sustain is nearly continuous, as if the vibration from the guitar is feeding the string again.
Dennis
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2003 8:48 pm    

The MSA SS wood model is one of the last ones Bud Carter designed . It is a lot lighter weight than the older models of MSA's. Has a good Tone too....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 24 September 2003 at 09:49 PM.]

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2003 11:15 pm    

Al is right- the SS MSA's seem to generally have real nice tone. I'm curious- what is the guitar that you are looking at going to sell for?
Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2003 6:14 am    

John H....If weight is a consideration for you, you will be pleasantly surprised with the MSA double 10 SS. To my knowledge that is the smallest and lightest triple raise and triple lower guitar ever built.

The new MSA Millennium is of course much lighter, but it is ever so slightly larger to make more room between the tunings keys relative from one neck to the other.

I also believe you will be very happy with the sound of the guitar. Compared to other MSA guitars, there were not many SS guitars made.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2003 7:29 am    

MSA's are some of the best steel guitars out there. I have 2 and I love them both. Back in the 70's they were considered the Rolls Royce of the steel guitar.

I think you should buy the guitar, and that will be very happy with ot if you do.

I also think you might want to consider repacing the pickups. There have been some significant improvements in pickups in the last few years and companies like George L and Bill Lawrence are making much better pickups than the original ones that came with your guitar.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2003 7:42 am    

In my own mind, the old "Classics" (not the SS models) have a fullness and richness to their sound that few other guitars have. They do require a good amp and single-coil pickups to get their best sound. (Humbuckers sound somewhat "muddy" on these, with their increased impedance causing most of the problem.)

The "SS" guitars are excellent, with less emphasis on the lows and low mids. Due to their lighter weight and solid-wood body, they will tolerate a humbucking pickup.
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2003 11:37 am    

Having owned a mid 70s D-12 Classic, it was and still would be a wonderfully built and playing steel. They were a bit weighty compared to some today, but they stayed in tune and could handle themselves with the best of them. I missed on a couple of SS D-12s and still may look for one to buy. I wish mine would come home.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2003 1:14 pm    

I have a Classic SS and really like it. The action is extremely smooth and quiet. Mine has a Lawrence 705 on the E9th and a Lawrence 710 on the C6th and sounds great. These were really ahead of their time. Oh, by the way, here's what she looks like.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording
Les Green

Jefferson City, MO, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2003 1:30 pm    

I've been playing a D10 classic, 8 & 4, 1973, for all these years. Sounds good, not a dimes worth of trouble with it, except the handle on the case broke. (it is heavy). Very, very seldom breaks strings, stays in tune excellent.........
Les Green
Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2003 6:19 pm    

If you're happy with the sound, I'd pick it up. The SS's are more sought after than most other MSA's.

Changing the pickup will make a dramatic difference.
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2003 8:00 pm    

Plug it in, turn it UP, and....

Play it like you STOLE it..

Don't be throwing away that pickup . Danny Shields might have wound it.

EJL

[This message was edited by Eric West on 25 September 2003 at 09:03 PM.]

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2003 9:04 pm    

Reece informed me that the so-called SS D-12s I thought of buying were not the Super Sustain but were infered to make it sound more inviting. I obviously hadn't seen them and they don't exist, thanks Reece, Gary.
Ulf Edlund

UmeƄ, Sweden
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2003 3:50 am    

The SS stands for "super small" so it doesn't weigh a ton. The "Super Sustain" refers to the original pickups.
I own a Classic SS just like the one pictured on Darvin W's post above exept it's 8+4. It plays well, stays in tune and sounds good with E-66 pickups, but i have a pair of TrueTones on order 'cause i'm a sucker for the response and clearity of single coils. The only negative thing about it is the tuning pegs on string 10 on E9 and string one on C6 which is so close to each other that they can "collide".
However, all things concidered it's a fine guitar and i recommend it.

Uffe
Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2003 5:29 pm    

I have always had a Sho~Bud, but a couple of years ago, I got a Classic SS. It's a lot lighter, and more compact than what I've always played. Pedal action is great, and it stays in tune. It has the original Super Sustain pickups, and after a little amp tweaking, it sounds a lot like my Pro II. If it's as nice as mine, anything under $2K would be a bargain.
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2003 5:51 pm    

I also had one just like Darvin's - same colour. It was a good guitar. Had Lawrence 705's in it, and it had a great E-9th sound - the low end on the C'6th was not as good as I would have hoped. I sold it awhile after buying an EMCI, and after deciding that it was a shame to have it sitting around in its case not getting played. I have subsequently regretted selling it - mostly every time Darvin posts that picture of his. But then again, how many steels does a guy need......

[This message was edited by Bob Blair on 26 September 2003 at 07:21 PM.]