| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  B's to Bb on LKV with E Lower on LKR
Michael Hutchison

Indianapolis, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2015 12:01 pm    

Wondering if somebody could comment on this combination of levers. Assuming a guitar that is well adjusted, how challenging is it to operate and/or release the LKR while keeping the vertical pressed up?

I'm interested in the application of this for b0b's chord scale as seen here:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=225985&sid=2b4ff4ab377088476a8d5d18796de940

Thanks

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2015 12:54 pm    

Michael, my guitar has the same setup. Those moves are not too difficult. Having the A and B pedals depressed makes the vertical a little easier to use. Using the vertical by itself is a bit tougher. Pedaling onto both the A and engaging the vertical, and getting the half lower note seamlessly is hard for me. Verticals are not my favorite lever, but they can five you a lot of options (as the example you linked shows)
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2015 1:20 pm    

It might depend on which way your vertical is oriented, where it's placed in relation to the LKR and/or how long it is. It takes more effort to hold the vertical pressed up if your knee is close to the pivot point of the lever.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2015 1:54 pm    

It is easy once you get used to it. It is also easy to release one and engage the other.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2015 2:36 pm    

Gerald Shaw wrote:
Having the A and B pedals depressed makes the vertical a little easier to use. Using the vertical by itself is a bit tougher.

I agree, but I have the 1st and 7th string raises (F# to G) there. IMHO, the B to Bb change belongs on a regular knee lever.

The change works well in conjunction with both the E string raises and lowers. Clearly this is only possible when the E raises and lowers are on the same knee, and the B-Bb change is on the other.

The O.P.is assuming that the E-raises and lowers are on different knees. This allows a smoother transition between the 2, but at a cost of not having the B string lower available everywhere it can be used.

This is one of the reasons I have the E string raises and lowers on the same knee.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2015 3:11 pm    

Mike, combining E raises and B lowers hasn't occurred to me. Lying here in the bunk, I'm not seeing how they work together (but I rarely use use my F lever). Care to elaborate on how?
I have the A# lever on the same knee as my E string levers, and it really isn't difficult to drop the Bs with or without the E lowers (and is dead easy to release one and engage the other, do it all the time).
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2015 3:16 pm    

Mike, it seems to me the O.P. is assuming the E lowers are on the left knee (LKR), which would mean the E raises and lowers on the same knee, as I don't think I've ever heard of a copedent with the E lowers on the left knee and raises on the right knee.

I stand by my earlier comment: in my experience, it matters if the vertical is direct-pull (rotating clockwise) or reversing (rotating counter-clockwise)--a couple of my guitars have come one way, a couple the other--and the placement of the levers relative to each other. If, to get a combination, you have to cram your knee up into the angle formed by the axle end of a vertical and the axle end of a side lever, it can't be described as easy--you have minimum leverage on both levers.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2015 4:33 pm    

Lane, the combination of the 5th string lowered to Bb and the 4th raised to F forms a perfect 5th between the 2 strings. It has all sorts of possibilities.

Here’s a example. Activate both levers, then slide the bar down 2 frets, while releasing the B-Bb lower and pressing the A pedal. The 5the string will raiss in pitch while the 4the lowers.

Another: go to the C# position, (A pedal and F raise) and kick in the B-Bb lever. You get the same minor chord that you get 1 fret back with the B and C pedals. Sometimes it’s better to make it this way, as you don’t have to take your foot off the A pedal.
Michael Hutchison

Indianapolis, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2015 6:05 pm    

I have both E's on the left.